right my fish look like they carnt breath my sats are

nitrite - 0
nitrate - 0.6
ammonia - 0
ph - 8

any help would be appreshaited

vanessa

What do u mean by can't breath

What i suggest that u do for the time being is remove 25% of the water a day because its might be the water and also PH 8 is bad go and get some PH stuff in a bottle with will make the water go a little bit acidy

If you dont mind me askin what fish have you got because i have got a really good book which tells u alot about them ( there PH things like that)

:)

What fish do you have as they require different PH levels?
Are they hanging at the surface or sitting on the bottom?
What temperature is your tank water?
Have you got enough aeration/filtration?

Sorry about all the questions, but they will help solve the problem.

Have you tried adding a spare airstone to your tank. A few weeks back my fish were really gasping for air but since i added the airstone they have been fine ever since. Try that and see if it helps.

um at the moment i have 3 mollys one red tailed shark and a kiluki (sp) loach and a snail its my sisters tank and u know when uve been on a run and u start gasping for breath there like that

The ph is to high. The mollies like ph around 7.2 or something to that effect and the redtail black shark like thiers 7.0. which is neutral. (I am not for sure about the kiluki loach..Also mollies require salt. Which you cannot add because of the scaless fish that you have~~~~ What is the ph comming out of your tap water?? First of all never try to adjust your ph with chemicals you will do more harm than good. I would start by doing a water change of around 25 percent and see if this helps...

size of tank?
filtration?
aeration?
water changes, how much and how often?
dechlorinator?
how long have you had the fish?
any new arrivals before the gasping?
what colour are the inside of the gills? healthy gills are cherry red.
are they flicking or rubbing?

blade, it would be better if you made your own thread then no one will get confused trying to help you both :)

First, i doubt that the PH would have much if anything to do with gasping. Often times gasping is a result of a lack of oxygen saturation. Contrary to popular belief airstone themselves to not add oxygen to the water, the agitation of the surface and the current flow cause by the air bubbles rising to the surface and breaking is what adds aeration.

If you have a lack of filtration and surface area you will have a lack of oxygenated water. In most small tanks a simple air stone will take care of the problem by providing water circulation and surface agitation. In much larger tanks you might need to increase your filtration with something like a larger HOB filter or canister filter. I am going to guess this is a small tank maybe 10 us gallons. that being said try an airstone first.

this may not solve the problem. You may have an issue with dissolved solids. A much more important factor than PH but related. A simple and solid way to reduce the dissolved solids and effectively reduce the PH is to add peat to your filter. The peat will absorb the dissolved solids and reduce the PH. Do some research on the subject before going ahead with it because toying with your disolved solids can result in dehydrating your fish. Here is a document to help start your research. hope all of this helps.

http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/TDS.html

To address the water changes, it is not a bad idea to perform regular weekly 25% water changes on any tank. If your filtration is inadequte you may find the need to increase the water changes. Certain fish such as discus require water changes almost constantly. A water change will assist you in many ways. First, you will be removing organics which cause issues with amonia nitrates and nitrites. By adding new water you will help to replenish the minerals used by your tank from the water itself. You will also be dilhuting the water in a sense, so if you have poor water conditions such as high or low ph, cloudy water, medically treated water, a high buildup or dissolved organics, etc... the water change will help to slowly adjust those to the optimal conditions.

Most reactions

Back