Fish Jar

Recky10

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How cool would it be to say "Hey come over here and look at my fish Jar" "Your What?" A jar ~5gallons with fish in it hehehe. So i was thinking get maybe 2 female guppys a male and a snail and put them all in this, a fish jar.

CIMG1117.JPG

Yah i bet you all want a fish jar now lol. So what do you think about doin this?

guppys are quite active, i would say a betta and a snail

cute idea, but wouldn't you have to leave the lid off so that it could aerate? would a snail crawl out?
I think the idea of having a betta in the tank is nice. you could always get those neat bamboo shoots for it too! :hyper:

Nice idea, but what happens with filtration, gas exchange, airation, heating and swimming space? It'd look pretty ugly if you've got all kinds of wires hanging out of (or into) a glass jar that you can't put a backround on to cover the wires up.

A couple of problems w/ a jar:

1) No way to adjust temp
2) WC's are akward
3) Very little water flow

and some that I can't think of right now

This little jar could support one betta. Personally, I would not even use it because I find bettas quite boring and useless.

A couple of problems w/ a jar:

1) No way to adjust temp
2) WC's are akward
3) Very little water flow

and some that I can't think of right now

1) Bettas can live at room temperature, and if necessary a small heating pad could be provided.
2) Water changes are preformed by simply pouring water out of the jar and being filled up again with clean water.
3) Bettas don't need water flow, they live in puddles.

Bettas don't need a large amount of DO(Dissolved Oxygen) because they take in air from the surface.

Bettas do not live in puddles, rice paddies are absolutely massive places, sure their shallow but their huge (the smallest we saw was 20m x 15 m), saw a lot of them in Vietnam when I was over there, complete with bettas. Bettas still need some form of water movement and oxygenation as they do have gills. Personally I wouldn't use that jar for anything apart from growing a cactus or something in, not for fish though.

great idear no filteration no airation and no heater

you may as well put a fish in a bucket

You could always re-house the flowers in the back of the shot.. they may like the extra space.

Just kidding,
Squid

1) Bettas can live at room temperature, and if necessary a small heating pad could be provided.
2) Water changes are preformed by simply pouring water out of the jar and being filled up again with clean water.
3) Bettas don't need water flow, they live in puddles.

Bettas don't need a large amount of DO(Dissolved Oxygen) because they take in air from the surface.

1) bettas can live at room temperature however it isn't the best thing as the water temperature fluctuates too much in a common household, which may change the water temperature, causing stress on the fish.
2) Bettas do need water flow as they don't only get the DO from the surface, in an oxygen enriched area they will get the DO from within the water aswell as the surface. (hints why they still have gills).
3) It is true that bettas don't need a high amount of DO, but he wants to have a lid on the jar, which would make gas exchange nearly impossible, which would cause a dead fish.

In short, this tank is just a bad idea.

Bettas do not live in puddles, rice paddies are absolutely massive places, sure their shallow but their huge (the smallest we saw was 20m x 15 m), saw a lot of them in Vietnam when I was over there, complete with bettas. Bettas still need some form of water movement and oxygenation as they do have gills. Personally I wouldn't use that jar for anything apart from growing a cactus or something in, not for fish though.

Though it is true that Bettas live in rice paddies, the majority of these paddies dry up to nothing more than a small puddle, probably around 50cm in diameter, during the dry seasons. This is why they developed the labrynth.

Most reactions

Back