Fish In My 10g, Finally!

CriX098

Reaction score
Hi,

I was posting a couple weeks ago about setting up my tank. Just wanted to drop back in and say hi, and let everyone know that I now have 2 neon blue dwarf guaramis and 4 "hybrid" tetras, the LFS didn't know exactly what they were.

I cycled using SuperBac Nitrifying Bacteria and it has worked great. I highly recommend it. I was leaving my water at its out-of-the-tap 7.9pH as I read that guaramis were okay with this. But one of the kids at the LFS (some of these teenagers that are into the hobby are so knowledgeable!) told me that 7.0 was the best compromise pH for multiple species of community fish. So I bought some powder he recommended that automatically sets the pH to 7.0 which I thought was the coolest. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks.... you just sleep better knowing that your water conditions are right on target.

I'll try to post some pics later. Thanks for the help. :)

Congratualtions on your tank. Sounds like you are doing well so far. Just a couple of pointers. Firstly I wouldn't waste your money trying to fiddle with pH levels. What your fish need most of all is a stable pH, this is most easily achieved using your tap water as is. The vast majority of fish will adjust perfectly well to the pH of your tap water. What they won't cope well with is it swinging up and down. Secondly, you "cycling" product has probably done very little to help cycle your tank I'm afraid. Most do absolutely nothing. So would recommend that you quickly get hold of liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals do their API master test kit containing all tests needed. Then find out what your actual ppm levels are for those things. You should have ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm in a cycled tank and nitrate no more than about 40ppm. If you have any ammonia or nitrite readings at all then I'm afraid your cycling product did nothing and all you can do is water changes to bring the levels down. Thirdly, you really want 6+ individuals if you are stocking tetra. They are a naturally schooling fish and do much better and live longer happier lives in a bigger group. You also really need to find out what species of tetra they are. How do you know that they are not going to completely out grow your tank? They are likely to be a neon hybrid I'd have thought. If so they are really not ideal in a new tank as they tend to be a little flakey and die on a whim. I also would never recommend tetras to anyone with less than a 20 gallon tank. They are a very active species and really need the extra space that a 10 gallon simply can't provide. They may get on fine in their current situation but I would not be at all surprised if you suffer a few deaths. :/ Anyhow, fingers crossed you won't, everyone makes mistakes when they start out, good luck and let us know those water stat readings.

:good:

Wow, I hope that doesn't happen with the fish deaths. The tetras are partially transparent, but also metallic silver, and sharp dorsal fins with a prominent black band on them. Maybe I should pick up 2 more.... but like you said my tank may be undersized.

I've been on top of monitoring my water with an API Master Test Kit. I think the SuperBac *did* work because I saw my ammonia stay very low, my nitrites at zero and with a slowly increasing nitrate level. SuperBac actually comes with an expiration date and I spoke for about a half hour with Christian Blood, one of their employees (owners?) who was very helpful with me.

Well, I've got the 7.0 pH stuff already so I guess I'll use it. Geez... I think I just need to get a larger tank!! You can barely do anything in a 10g!

Thanks for the input!

Hi CriX098 can you post a photo of the tetras, or could they possibly be x-ray tetras? (Pristella maxillaris)

Sure, I will take pictures as soon as I get home. :good:

From the description it does sound like an x-ray tetra, you may want to google that to check :rolleyes:

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/41545604@N00/1897743127/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41545604@N00/1897743127/[/URL]
[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/41545604@N00/1898592820/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/41545604@N00/1898592820/[/URL]

Okay, wow, I'm new to setting up a fish tank and definitely new to photographing fish too! The first is with with flash and actually came out well, except their orientation isn't the best you can still make our their metallic bodies. The other pic is a bit blurry but you can see the prominent bands on their dorsal fin.

Any ideas?

Hi CriX098 can you post a photo of the tetras, or could they possibly be x-ray tetras? (Pristella maxillaris)

Yep they are x-ray tetras

Good to know, thanks!

So I've only had the Tetras in my tank for about 2 days now and I am already a little annoyed by their presence! Well, mostly because I think that my Gouramis are annoyed and that upsets me. The two Gouramis (anyone know how to check their sex?) seemed so peaceful and happy in 10g. Now they tend to move around the tank with their feelers in an outward position as if to define their personal space. One Guarami now occasionally nips at the other... some establishment of dominance I had not seen before and I suspect it is from the loss of open room with 4 more fish in the tank... more territoriality.

The tetras seem to go wherever they please and yes, I can imagine they would be better in a longer, larger tank as they love to dart around. And I think they are bugging the hell out of the Gouramis! Also, the tetras aren't accepting (at least when I'm watching) the flake food. But I'm not too happy with them and thinking that they will decide to eat it when they get hungry enough! I've heard other people say this and I don't want to hurt them. I am however considering bringing them back to my LFS for a trade.

if you say both dwarfs are powder blue then they are both males, (male dwarfs seem to be much more commonly found than females due to females being very dull in colour)

IMO i would leave the fish for 5 to 7 days before making a decision on whether to remove them, fish need time to settle into a new home and may well act totally different in a few more days, having two male dwarfs in a small tank could become a problem though as they do like their own territories. Personally i would provide as much cover in the tank as possible as this usually has a calming effect on fish as they can't always see each other.

If you do decide to swap the tetras it may be worth looking at something like harlequinns or hatchet fish, which live in the top third of the tank, leaving more room at the lower level for the gouramis.

Thanks, I think you are right. I should definitely give the new tankmates a time to get used to each other before making any decisions. And yeah, I will look into those species you mentioned. :)

Hey Squidman, do you plan on adding more fish to your 1 Guarami, 2 Loaches 10g?? That sounds like a nice and peaceful tank.

Most reactions

Back