Fish In Cycling

jcdj

Reaction score
Hi all well I fell for the lfs trap, as posted the other day I picked up an api test kit, I have been doing a 50% water change each day to try and keep the Ammonia and nitrite and nitrate down, it does go up a little.

Before the water change it was
Ammonia 0.50
nitrite was 1.0
nitrate was 10

after it was
ammonia looked a little lighter than 0.25
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 0-5.0 very close

I have not been able to get them to 0 at all is this normal for fish in, im feeding them every other day will this been ok, to help the system grow and settle.

Hi all well I fell for the lfs trap, as posted the other day I picked up an api test kit, I have been doing a 50% water change each day to try and keep the Ammonia and nitrite and nitrate down, it does go up a little.

Before the water change it was
Ammonia 0.50
nitrite was 1.0
nitrate was 10

after it was
ammonia looked a little lighter than 0.25
nitrite 0.25
nitrate 0-5.0 very close

I have not been able to get them to 0 at all is this normal for fish in, im feeding them every other day will this been ok, to help the system grow and settle.
if a 50% change is reducing it to 0.25 then a bigger change is needed otherwise the fish will suffer.... a 50% change will half the content of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so you need to test before the water change and do a change that will reduce it to 0. if your tests show ammonia 0.5 and you do a 50% change then the water will still read 0.25 which is still not good and another 50% water change is required so its down to you to calculate what % change is required to get to 0. this is the problem with a fish in cycle loads of big daily water changes :crazy:

As previously mentioned, I also think a bigger water change is needed. I just completed a fish-in cycling (before I knew fish-less existed) and some days I found myself doing close to an 80% water change. Eventually the fish were used to it and it brought all of my ammonia and nitrite levels to zero.

Feeding the fish every other day was what I did as well until my tank was cycled. It will not hurt them.

Also, for a few of the water changes I made sure to pay extra attention to siphoning out all of the extra particles/food in the gravel.

Hopefully this helps...

Ahhhh coool I might do about 80% now see how that goes, at least its helping my upper body strenth running up and down stairs with a 25l jerry can.

Yeah, if you lift and lower the jerry can as you climb the steps it counts as more "reps" on your weight-lifting card...

Most reactions

Back