smile.png

Nope
biggrin.png

EDIT: bad MBOU.... that made me grin too much lol

MBOU said:
Nope
biggrin.png

EDIT: bad MBOU.... that made me grin too much lol

Really? You sure...? After I saw this I did a quick search and the exact same picture came up under Planet Catfish's COTM :p

Same name but different L number
confused.gif
might be a locality thing? They apparently have different common names but then again, not an English site I am looking at lol.

Slightly different markings as well and I think if I keep flicking between the two, its a 'flatter' looking species... but I guess so hard to tell they ended up with same name but different L number?

MBOU said:
Same name but different L number
confused.gif
might be a locality thing? They apparently have different common names but then again, not an English site I am looking at lol

Hmm... OK, it looks like a Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus but apparently not
confused.gif
Gimme a second to think of others that look similar...

I got it!!! I think...

Pseudacanthicus leopardus - L600 - No common name that I know of apart from the good 'ol Leopard Cactus Plecostomus?

It's basically a slightly darker, slightly bigger version of Pseudacanthicus cf. leopardus - L114 :lol:

Yep LOL

It is also apparently a locality thing
smile.png
L114 is from Rio Demini and L600 from Rio Branco.

L600 is darker, smaller spots, slightly flatter head and a solid orange tail (L114 has orange at top and bottom of the tail) this is the "true" Leopard Cactus Pleco and L114 is misnamed as the Leopard Cactus Pleco :)

smile.png

L600 is darker, smaller spots, slightly flatter head and a solid orange tail (L114 has orange at top and bottom of the tail)

I've heard, that a few years ago, when there were floods in the Northern parts of Australia, a pond in which a man was breeding L600's overflowed and a load of fish escaped!

Not sure how true that is, just merely word on the streets. I think an adult L600 in Australia can fetch a few thousands dollars!

Rare Aquatics have one on the list for £145 ;) (L114 is up for about £45)

MBOU said:
Yep LOL

smile.png

L600 is darker, smaller spots, slightly flatter head and a solid orange tail (L114 has orange at top and bottom of the tail)

Makes sense. It seems a lot of fish are labelled by locality and I suppose it helps when you need to know where they are from
smile.png

Anyway, here's mine. It's easy. It's not the apple snails having it away on the back of the tank or the Aplocheilus lineatus at the top. It's the other fish
smile.png
Latin name please. Sorry for the horrible quality, it's my own picture of my own fish from my old 3ft planted/algae tank XD I made it a tad(not that it's difficult anyway) more difficult by using the least recognizable of the sexes.

408954_4585148555959_712814747_n_zpsba22e42b.jpg

I'm off to bed. If my answer was right someone else can have my turn :)

Most reactions

Back