Fish Dying- Wasting?

It deffenetly sounds like TB. Tetra especially get TB really easy, when your fish has TB it will loose it's appetite and get really skinny. They will also swim abnormal or there will be a lack of swimming and they may loose there colour and little white spots or lumps may occur on their body.

hope this helps!!!!

Nope, not fish TB unfortunatly, its also quite a rare desease or at least it should be in your tank.

internal bacteria is very common in livebearers- how are your neons looking?
The neons were gone some time ago- all 12 of them. I noticed one or two with a flesh-colored patch at the dorsal fin before they died.

What I'm up to now is this- I figured that given the losses so far, it's time for triage, so I removed and euthanized two guppies that weren't looking good. I'm down to the following fish:

1 Pleco
1 Glass Catfish
2 Cory Catfish
4 Zebras
5 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Guppy
2 Platies

One of the platies has me concerned at the moment, it's not acting strange, but it looks as if it's scales are shedding or something, hard to tell. I'm thinking lesions, mostly near it's tail. It's not clearly defined though, so I'm waiting a bit while I treat the tank.

I'm using Mardel Maracyn, which I'm told is a broad-range antibiotic, this is what the local store told me to try. Honestly, I'm not that confident in their advice- they're the folks who told me that you have to put Zebras in with Angelfish to circulate the water... Anyone who knows a decent fish place on the southern side of Atlanta, Georgia, please let me know.

Since the removal of the two guppies and the start of the treatment (2 days now) I've lost no fish, but then I'm down to the fish I'd consider the 'toughies'.

Thanks again for the help, and any more suggestions would be welcomed.

On the neon tetra's did you get a bleach out patch on the red stripe.

On the neon tetra's did you get a bleach out patch on the red stripe.

No, the bleached out patch was on the top of the fish, starting at the dorsal, and covering a bit forward of that. Down the sides from there just a touch, not to the red stripe.

look at these pics
Great page- thanks for that link.

From the pictures and descriptions, the best match I see is under 'Bacterial Infections'. The following stuff fits perfectly:

"White, clear, red/pink areas of necrosis. Occasionally slightly ragged/fuzzy appearence."

"Various: lethargy, hiding behavior, "hanging", clamped fins, loss of appetite, general constitutional signs."

The patches on the neons were pink, or sorta flesh-colored. The platy is 'slightly ragged/fuzzy'. I had hiding, clamped fins, lethargy, hanging.. in all the affected fish. So far the platy isn't lethargic or hanging, but he is hiding more than usual.

The good news I guess is that they recommend exactly what I'm doing - frequent water changes (25% per day at this time), and Maracyn.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope for the best.

Thanks

I have a molly who is acting like she has a bacterial infection now too...gonna have to wait for the morning to get to the pet store to find some medicine

does anyone know the commercial names for the antibiotics for these bacterial infections?

Most reactions

Back