Fish combination

_alex_

Reaction score
Hi, im new to fish keeping, and this is my first aquarium... its a 10 gallon, and i'm getting some fish on saturday, because im still waiting for everything to settle. Well my question is: will this combination of fish work, as in will the fish live together peacefully, and will they all fit? This is the list of fish I want to get. (May change later)

- 4-5 Zebra danios
- 2 Mollies (Not sure whats the minimum for mollies... Help please?)
- 1 Betta (Not sure yet.. I need your judgement)
- 3 cory's

So will this combination of fish work? Will they live together peacefully? ???? I really want to know before I get them! Thanks! Oh and here are some pictures of my tank. I will add 1 more fake plant, and I also recently put in some shells I got from the ocean a long time ago (washed)

DCP_0374.jpg

(Need to add one more small, fake plant :whistle: )

DCP_0375.jpg

Side view

DCP_0379.jpg

Shell 1

DCP_0380.jpg

Shells 2 & 3

-Alex :fun:

Have you cycled your tank? Waiting for everything to settle doesn't do much.

cycling? I dont know what you mean lol. I rinsed the gravel before I put it in and I put in stress coat and stress zyme. The water isnt murky and the bubbles that were on the sides arent there any more either. Can you explain further please? Thanks!

shells can raise hardness(I think it's hardness, not sure) but they can raise something. I have 6 danios and a betta and they are quite peaceful. may depend on what type of cory, I have three cories, one betta and 6 danios in a 20g long, also what type of filter do you have?

also-about cycling your tank, you can cycle with zebra/leopard danios, that's what i did and i have been in the hobby for 6 weeks and I haven't lost a single fish

I have, like you told me, a penguin mini filter. Its working great too!

cycling- you have to put in ammonia or fish, to get ammonia in the tank and let it sit so that it produces bacteria that will detoxify ammonia and other things
penguin mini or penguin mini biowheel?

oops i meant penguin mini biowheel.. what other kind of penguin mini is there? -Alex :fun:

You need to read up on cycling. There is some good info on here about it. Danios are good to start with. But your list of fish could be to much for that small of a tank.

_alex_ said:
oops i meant penguin mini biowheel.. what other kind of penguin mini is there? -Alex :fun:
there are plain penguin minis that have no biowheel, like most other companies- the bio-wheel is copyrighted to marineland

_alex_ said:
oops i meant penguin mini biowheel.. what other kind of penguin mini is there?
In the UK, we have a chocolate biscuit bar called 'penguin'.. and they do fun size penguin mini, too.

But I'm guessing that you don't have a small chocolate biscuit bar in your fish tank. :shifty:

well i decided not to have the beta, and is 1 cory O.K. for a fish tank? or do you need 3 or more? because i want the mollies and danios in one tank for sure.
As for cycling, I might get danios and let them cycle it, but I bought these two things called stress coat and stress zyme, and the stress zyme says "Stress Zyme contains live bacteria that enhances the growth of any biological filter. Continuous use of stress zyme assures an active biological filter, a cleaner aquarium, healthier fish and good water quality" and the stress coat just removes chlorine. So will those two do the trick, or should i use them, plus cycle with danios. Beause i wouldnt mind having danios for my first fish either. :)

Well, I don't know if you've done any more reading up on the subject or not, but I'm just going to give you a brief overview of what cyleing is.
When fish eat, they produce wast, which then decomposes into ammonia. Ammonia is deadly in even the tiniest amounts ( test kits that detect ammonia measure it in particles per million), and the only way fish can live in your tank for a long period of time without being poisoned by the ammonia and dying a slow agonizing death, is to get rid of it. Luckily, bacteria will develop in your tank over time that will eat the ammonia and convert it into a different substance. The bacteria's rate of growth varies widely between tanks, and can take as little as two weeks for it to grow to even a month or two, but you must always remember to be patient, and not stock the tank fully before the bacteria can establish itself in the tank, and even then, you must stock slowly for it to get a chance to catch up with the amount of wast being produced by the fish. Several things you can do to vastly speed up the rate at which the bacteria colonize you tank is to either take gravel from a well established tank that has been cycled, or even better, borrow a filter pad and find a way for it to be put into your filter. There are many products out there that claim to cycle a tank instantly, but you should not depend on them to do the job, as they will most likely not.
Once the ammonia eating bacteria establish themselves, they will convert the ammonia your fish produce into nitrite, which is slightly less toxic, but still deadly to fish. fortunately, bacteria will also after some time start to develop that will convert nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is mostly harmless, unless it is allowed to build up into very high quantity's, but this is where you come in. To remove the nitrate from the tank, the only sure fire method is to do a water change. A water change is when you replace the water in the tank with new water (dechlorinated if you have chlorine in your water, and chlorine will kill all of the beneficial bacteria in your tank), and some of the nitrates will leave with the old water. To replace water, there are two commonly used methods. One is to siphon some of the water off into a bucket, and then replace the water via bucket after you have removed the desired amount (in a ten gallon tank, you should do at least 20% changes weekly.) Make sure the bucket is new, or has never contained anything like household cleaning products. The other method is to use a long siphon that can directly hook up to your sink, so you can pour the water directly down the drain and pump water right into your tank (make sure to add the right amount of dechlorinator to the tank itself before adding the water [if needed]).

Sorry if you know a lot of that, I don't mean to insult you in anyway :) . If you still have questions, you can read many of the articles at the top of the page in the Beginners Questions section, I'm sure they will be answered there.

As far as your stocking plan goes, it should be fine, except you may want to consider a more solitary bottom feeder than cories, as they should always be kept in groups over three, if not more, and will suffer without others of their kind to socialize with. maybe do some research on Kuhli loaches on google, as they add very little wast to the system, so you could most likely keep a group of three in your tank without problems :) .

Danios are supposed to be very hardy fish that are good for cycling and can tolerate higher ammonia levels than other fish. Just remember not to introduce too many fish at once or you'll have problems. For a ten gallon, cycling with 3 danios should be good.

And you have to be patient, some people's cycling takes months, but usually should be done within 4 weeks. Get yourself a test kit, I know I need one :)

Most reactions

Back