Fish Addiction! Tempted To Buy Some Uaru Tomorrow !

hamfist

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just got it in my mind that I really want some Uaru. Ever since I saw a well adjusted adult Uaru in one of my LFS I have been jonesing to get some. I just loved the way it constantly grazed around, in a peaceful, dignified manner. Never boring , but always calm. Really made an impression on me.

I can do it too. With my newly arriving tank I will have the space. My newly acquired Geophagus are not really capturing my attention and I think I will pass them on. They are just a little too hectic for me. I know they will calm down as they mature, but I think their general character and behaviour will surely stay much the same. Just not my thing.

Snowflake311's new uaru have also inspired me. I love a fish which is drab on the outside, but full of character !

All I have to hope for is that "Honey", my largest (rather grumpy) sev is going to be welcoming to any new arrivals .... will try to make sure that any new uaru are a bit bigger than her (or him .. as I'm not quite sure yet !). "Hetty" and "Edwin" (my other sevs) will, I'm sure, be most accomodating of new tankmates as they are very gentle.

Watch this space !!

Uaru were a fish I always liked but never thought I would have. I saw some young ones at a LFS month ago and liked them but did not have the room. So when I got my little rescues it was exciting. Mine are really shy and skitish they get spook over nothing. But then Other times they are ok with me looking at them. But if i really want to enjoy them I have to from a distance. They are nothing like my Severums. My daughter can go up and hit the tank and my red severum does not even move. If she did that to the Uara they would FREAK. I hope mine relax more once in the 100 gal with other Cichlid tank mates.

They are nice and really pretty in a differant way. They are hands down the most peacful cichlid I have EVEN seen. Yet I have not added them to my others yet so we will see how that goes. In a few weeks I think I will put them in the 100 gal.

What size tank do you have? Do you like plants? NEVER have I seen a fish eat so many plants. Seems like all the peaceful cichlids eat plants. My little Festivum snack on plants. HEY Festivum might be another fish to look into. They are smaller and like to be kept in groups but also don't like to fight or start anything. Festivums are becoming my 2nd Fav cichlid. They are so cute and come swiming over everytime I look at them. Oh I love thoes little guys.

Back to Uaru You really HAVE to get 2 or more is better. My 2 are always together it so cute. Severums can be good tank makes to Uaru So your stock in not a probelm since they are all still young. In eveything i have read they are slow growers. they can get to be 12" but it takes YEARs for them to get that big. many max out at 8"- 10" but around 5-6" growth slows down.

You could try it.

i really like uarus too. its one of those ( many) fish ive not kept yet but would definately like to .

I've seen a few in some shops and I must say they don't really do it for me :lol:

They are nice and really pretty in a differant way. They are hands down the most peacful cichlid I have EVEN seen. Yet I have not added them to my others yet so we will see how that goes. In a few weeks I think I will put them in the 100 gal.

Might make a big difference. I have read of other Uaru keeper's experiences where their uaru were much emboldened by having lots of company (of any species).

What size tank do you have? Do you like plants? NEVER have I seen a fish eat so many plants. Seems like all the peaceful cichlids eat plants. My little Festivum snack on plants. HEY Festivum might be another fish to look into. They are smaller and like to be kept in groups but also don't like to fight or start anything. Festivums are becoming my 2nd Fav cichlid. They are so cute and come swiming over everytime I look at them. Oh I love thoes little guys.

Its a 150 US gallon, so enough space for a couple. I always seem to kill plants so went onto artificals years ago.

Back to Uaru You really HAVE to get 2 or more is better. My 2 are always together it so cute. Severums can be good tank makes to Uaru So your stock in not a probelm since they are all still young. In eveything i have read they are slow growers. they can get to be 12" but it takes YEARs for them to get that big. many max out at 8"- 10" but around 5-6" growth slows down.

THats an interesting point. "internet wisdom" says that you need to keep them in groups. However, on some more detailed searching, I have found many experienced Uaru keepers who say that individual uaru can be very happy, but not as juveniles, only as adults.
So it would seem that the juvies are possibly much more social than the adults.
However, it also seems that lone juvie uaru can easily "adopt" other species, such as sevs, as honorary uarus and will shoal with them.
I havn't made a definate decision yet about how many. Some of it may be down to how big they are in the shop, or how nervous.
One of my LFS has a fair number in, and I hope to get the time to get along there today.

I have also read about people that keep one uaru just fine. Sure it will live and adapt it's not going to die of lonlyness. but that does not mean it would not be happier with a friend. Seeing the 2 I have always with eachother I can see why you should have more then one. I have never seen a cichlid act like these 2. They do everything together even sleep together tail to tail. I think to fully enjoy them you need more then one. Your tank is big enough you could get 2 maybe 3.

Yes the Younger fish feel safer in groups .Thats just a way for them to survive it's safty in numbers. As large cichlids grow so does the confidence.

They are hardy fish that can be so cute at times.

I keep looking at Urau too (along with JD's :lol: ) I am in half a mine to re-home my texas and have some Urau.

There are some gorgeous specimens of these at Aquajardin (my favourite LFS) which look so graceful in their display tank.

I believe they are like Discus, in that they really need RO water, rather than most people's tap water. Is that right?

There are some gorgeous specimens of these at Aquajardin (my favourite LFS) which look so graceful in their display tank.

I believe they are like Discus, in that they really need RO water, rather than most people's tap water. Is that right?

uaru do not need ro water if they are the tank raised ones. Wild caught fish would like ro water to soften it if you have hard water. But a ph of around 7 is fine. They are hardy fish that adapt pretty well IME.

Good choice :good:

I have two and they are never more than a few inches apart. A lot of fun to watch them interact. If possible I highly recommend more than one.

Two of those very same fish are now residing in my 300 litre !! As SF says, they don't need RO water. Aquajardin were just keeping them in normal Southampton tapwater.
It's a pity Aquajardin are keeping them with 4 arowana. All the the fish are missing large chunks of various fins due to this. Hopefully those on my two will grow back soon.

Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow. I really didn't want to stress them at all. They really didn't cope with the move very well, although all seems well now.

Two of those very same fish are now residing in my 300 litre !! As SF says, they don't need RO water. Aquajardin were just keeping them in normal Southampton tapwater.
It's a pity Aquajardin are keeping them with 4 arowana. All the the fish are missing large chunks of various fins due to this. Hopefully those on my two will grow back soon.

Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow. I really didn't want to stress them at all. They really didn't cope with the move very well, although all seems well now.

sweet you got some!! pics?

agreed on the whole ro water thing uarus certainly dont need it , nor do discus . i have 6 5 inch discus and the supplier i got them from kept them in ro water, i took them home and i keep them in colchester tap water , and they are thriving.

Yeah they stress out when moved but adjust with time.

Can't wait to see them. How big are they?

Congrats! I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Lots of veggie and they'll be happy :)

Most reactions

Back