Fish Addiction! Tempted To Buy Some Uaru Tomorrow !

Yeah they stress out when moved but adjust with time.

Can't wait to see them. How big are they?

Biggest is pushing 6" I'd say. The other is about 4-5"

I'm sure I'll be able to get some pics later on today, when the lights come on with the timer.

THe smaller one is in pretty pristine condition, apart from one chunk out of a pectoral. The larger one is looking pretty sorry for himself, and has lost enough bits of finnage to look pretty scrappy. He doesn't really have much of one of his pectorals left at all ! (although seems to have adapted his swimming style to compensate). It should all quickly grow back soon though.

There are some gorgeous specimens of these at Aquajardin (my favourite LFS) which look so graceful in their display tank.

I believe they are like Discus, in that they really need RO water, rather than most people's tap water. Is that right?

Two of those very same fish are now residing in my 300 litre !! As SF says, they don't need RO water. Aquajardin were just keeping them in normal Southampton tapwater.
It's a pity Aquajardin are keeping them with 4 arowana. All the the fish are missing large chunks of various fins due to this. Hopefully those on my two will grow back soon.

Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow. I really didn't want to stress them at all. They really didn't cope with the move very well, although all seems well now.

Blimey, its a small world and all that! Must confess I never noticed the aggression damage, but then I also confess that I did not look at them in great detail as they were never a fish I considered...

I nearly went to Aquajardin straight after work ~30 minutes ago, to buy the Steatocranus (have you spotted him in with the [syndontis?] catfish which have wierd "cauliflower"-like growths on their dorsal fins); 3/4 Denissons Barb (bargain at £16 a pair); African Bushfish. But then I'm still considering buying the remaining Yellowtail Congo Tetra (~5) and 5 or 6 Rhomb Barb, possibly the African Butterfly before I finish up with the 6 Humphead Glassfish!
w00t.gif

There are some gorgeous specimens of these at Aquajardin (my favourite LFS) which look so graceful in their display tank.

I believe they are like Discus, in that they really need RO water, rather than most people's tap water. Is that right?

Two of those very same fish are now residing in my 300 litre !! As SF says, they don't need RO water. Aquajardin were just keeping them in normal Southampton tapwater.
It's a pity Aquajardin are keeping them with 4 arowana. All the the fish are missing large chunks of various fins due to this. Hopefully those on my two will grow back soon.

Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow. I really didn't want to stress them at all. They really didn't cope with the move very well, although all seems well now.

Blimey, its a small world and all that! Must confess I never noticed the aggression damage, but then I also confess that I did not look at them in great detail as they were never a fish I considered...

I nearly went to Aquajardin straight after work ~30 minutes ago, to buy the Steatocranus (have you spotted him in with the [syndontis?] catfish which have wierd "cauliflower"-like growths on their dorsal fins); 3/4 Denissons Barb (bargain at £16 a pair); African Bushfish. But then I'm still considering buying the remaining Yellowtail Congo Tetra (~5) and 5 or 6 Rhomb Barb, possibly the African Butterfly before I finish up with the 6 Humphead Glassfish!
w00t.gif

Afraid I'm very, very cichlid-orientated at the moment. So I don't really notice any other fish at the moment.
Although it sounds like they're getting good business from both of us at the moment !

Do you go on to Maidenhead Aq. in Fair oak too ? Great shop, although disappointingly very lacking in New World cichlids :sad:

Yep, got my Rio 240 through Maidenhead Aquatics on price match, just took printout of website deal in. I used to go in there quite often when I was thinking about Rainbowfish or Tanganyikan stocking, but not been in much since buying my Pearl Danios there and deciding upon a mainly Myanmar/ West African theme stocking, which is an area Aquajardin excel in!
good.gif

FairOak MA has its plus points, lots of traditional tropical fish; the Rainbows; Tanganyika; Malawi; marine. I visited the Titchfield branch by a chance drive-by and found they had quite a few new fish species that I saw for the first time in the flesh:-
Crocodile Toothpick fish (yep, the one that lives in Amazon and follows the trail of urine and then lodges in blokes' urethras(
blink.gif
), or burrows into the gills of fish)
Checkered Barbs
Badis
Butterfly Goodeid
Chilli Rasbora

I visited the Titchfield branch by a chance drive-by and found they had quite a few new fish species that I saw for the first time in the flesh:-
Crocodile Toothpick fish (yep, the one that lives in Amazon and follows the trail of urine and then lodges in blokes' urethras(
blink.gif
), or burrows into the gills of fish)
Checkered Barbs
Badis
Butterfly Goodeid
Chilli Rasbora

!!!!!!!!!!!!********!!!!!!!!!!

Blimey, I had completely missed the fact that a Titchfield branch existed. How did I miss that ? I thought the next nearest was in Havant (which is worth a visit !)

Will defo visit the Titchfield one in the very near future !! Brilliant. Thanks for pointing it out !

Most reactions

Back