First Venture To The Salty Side!

andy0902

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been thinking about moving from tropical to marine for quite some time now. I have read alot regarding the subject, but one thing i dont see much of is tank design?

I used to work at a glass factory where i can get really cheap glass. So i am thinking of building my own 60 UK gallon reef tank roughly 40" x 20" x 20"
I also have 2 spare tanks, 10 UK gallon and 20 UK gallon, one of which will be used for a fuge/sump.

Having read and watched vids on fuge design, i have noticed that people have drilled holes in the tank to attach pipes. The same again in the main tank.
What is the main reason(s) for doing this?

Also which of my two spare tanks would make the best fuge/sump?

Thanks in advance...

Andy :)

Drilling the tanks and using weirs is the most reliable way of running a sump. If a power cut occurs then there wont be a pump moving any water around so if set up right water levels should stay pretty much the same in each tank so long as there isnt any siphons.

Thanks Ben,

I had the idea that you had two pumps, one to send water from your main tank to your sump and the other to take it back?
I see now that having a hole below water level takes away the need for the second pump...is that correct?

Andy

yeah, it impossible to match two pumps, even if they are the same model number. So usually ends in a wet floor.

The best way to do it imo is have a weir in the top tank. This weir then sets the water height. The pump goes in the sump. The pump sends water up to the top display tank pushing the water level up. As the water level increases then it goes up and over the weir down the plumbing back into the sump. Then the cycle continues.

If you get a powercut then the pump just stops and the water levels stay the same. So long as the pump is set up not to allow and siphons back to the sump. I have my return pump pipe go into the tank just above the water level so im covered that way.

So usually ends in a wet floor.

Or a wet floor, a bone dry sump, and a slagged piece of copper and plastic that used to be a return pump :)

Ben's advice is perfect andy. Since your making your own tank, you can drill it wherever you want. If so, you can either install a Durso style overflow, or a Calfo style overflow (Durso = bottom drilled, Calfo = back/side drilled), have a look through google for pics and how-to's on either.

Also, have a look through melevsreef.com for some sump ideas :)

cheers guys,

I'll check out those overflows now and get back to you on the idea ive chosen.

PS. Ben has been so much help on msn so far, i think he's sick of my questions HAHA

Right,

Ive done some reading and the durso standpipe looks the best solution.

I'll have a hole drilled in the top, back side corner :S The bottom of the hole will be positioned where i want my water level to be, then ill attached my 'Durso' style piping, then plumb it into the first chamber of my sump, which will also house some LR rubble.
One more question for tonight...
Is it necessary to have sand/substrate in the sump/fuge?

Cheers

Right,

I'll have a hole drilled in the top, back side corner :S The bottom of the hole will be positioned where i want my water level to be, then ill attached my 'Durso' style piping, then plumb it into the first chamber of my sump, which will also house some LR rubble.

Cheers
Depends what you want the sump for

Some people just use them to hide skimmers

I have Miracle Mud in mine & caulerpa

main reason is for more water, second is to hid equipment

also i want some cheato in there

whats the advantages of the miracle mud with the caulerpa?

Cheers

main reason is for more water, second is to hid equipment

also i want some cheato in there

whats the advantages of the miracle mud with the caulerpa?

Cheers
I actually have a mix of chaeto & caulerpa - they serve the same perpose

Miracle mud is supposed to do all sorts of good things - do a search on it

How much good it actually does is debatable

Right,

Cheers

Well, about the drilling, you've got things a little mixed up here. You use the internal box (aka weir) to set the water level. If you're using a durso, your pipe comes from the bulkhead on the tank bottom, up ~80% into the internal box/weir, then has the 90 degree bend and the tee fitting to control flow/noise. If you go calfo and drill the back using a 90 elbow inside the weir and the Tee outside the tank, you drill a few inches below the top of the weir. That way water goes up into the tank, over the walls of the weir, fills the wier, then drains into the sump through the fittings.

Good morning all,

Ive seen this...

extdurso.jpg

I think it's some kind of modified Durso so it can sit on the outside. Having seen this I cant see the need for the weir.

Can somebody explain why this is a good/bad design?

Cheers

Bad design. Picture this: hair algae grows in your tank, something stirs a bunch of it up and it releases from what it's holding on to. Algae clogs the overflow strainer which is also being covered by a snail at the same time. Display tank stops draining, sump pump keeps running... Sump runs dry, tank overflows all over your floor and your pump slags itself, not good.

Second reason it's bad: with an open-topped bulkhead like that you'll get air sucking and slurping noises through the bulkhead

To make that design better, replace the strainer with a 90 degree elbow pointing DOWN. This eliminates the slurping noises. Then cover the overflow assembly with a weir to prevent snails/algae or other things that may clog it from getting in the overflow. Make sense?

Good afternoon,

Ive gone ahead and bought the glass for my tank,10mm Toughened glass, pre drilled holes, polished edges. Just under £70 for the lot....chuffed with that! :)

My question for today is.... Does anybody know a good place to buy all the PVC fittings for my overflow and return pipes?

Also what diameter overflow pipe should i be looking at for my 60G tank?

Cheers
Andy:)

Most reactions

Back