First Time Cycling Fish Tank Alone.

OscarFish47170

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I've been raised around fish tanks for most of my life but I can't seem to get this darn thing right on my own. Took my mom about 3 years to figure out exactly how to set up a tank perfectly for an Oscar Fish. I decided I did not want to kill my fish three times before I asked for help.

I have a 50-55 gallon tank, that is oddly shaped and completely out of date. I can't even find a proper hood for it, but until I can make one, the poor fish will have to do with a half attempt at a tank lid. I went to a local aquarium store, and asked a million questions. How long do I cycle for? When can I put my Oscar FIsh in? Is it safe to add small fish to start? Etc. You can be assured that I annoyed the living crap out of every employee at the store for at least 2 weeks.

Finally, I got the tank set up, put a couple of cheap fish in there and started the cycle. I added Stress Zyme, and De-clorinator to the water. Added two air rocks, and a good sized tree like thing that the fish could hide in and around. I did what the people at the fish store told me. I checked my water after a week. They told me that it would be safe enough to add a pleco. So I did, I also added a weekend feeder for it since the two goldfish I bought to start decided to eat everything in the tank including the pleco food.

After two weeks, I checked the water again at the store, they showed me how to do it and without further ado, my tank readings were nearly perfect. Odd for a tank that's only been running for two weeks. So I checked it again. Again it came up nearly perfect. They told me to add the stress zyme and the other one that goes with it and to check again in about a week. So I did. This time it really was perfect. So, I got my Oscar fish.

I bought two little baby Oscar Fish, each only about an inch long.  I figured getting babies would give me plenty of time to get the size tank they will need in two years. Around a 100 gallon tank. I've been around Oscar Fish since I was about 15, so I do realize that two Oscars need A LOT of room. My mother's one liked his 75 gallon all to himself aside from the pleco and the shovel nose she had.

Well, to get to the point, I've had my babies for about a week. I've gotten rid of the goldfish as they were getting agressive over food and not letting the babies eat. Now, the babies act depressed, staying at the bottom of the tank. I picked the two babies that actually jumped out of the water to bite my finger, just to make sure they were ok. The healthier an Oscar Fish is, the more their personality shows.

There are bubbles across the top of the tank, most likely from all the water agitation from the Air Rocks and the large two bay filter I'm using. They disapate the minute they are touched. My tank has begun to turn slightly clouded with a light tint of green. The pleco has grown at least 3 inches since I got him and once I got rid of the goldfish, I've only been feeding him one algae disc at night (mainly cause he's so small and those things are known to make algae grow)

But it's the Oscars I'm worried about. They act depressed. They stay down near the bottom of the tank. They've stopped being agressive with any type of food. I've been feeding them, but they just won't eat. The Tiger jumps out of the tank at flies that skim the water.... but the albino acts terrified of everything. The Tiger won't eat the pellets, the shrimp or even the blood worms. He ate well the first couple of days, but it seems like he's just lost his will to want food. Should I stop feeding for a day and see if his appetite picks up?  Did the cycle screw up and maybe I put them in too soon? I checked the water, the ph is fine at 7.3, the ammonia is a little raised but not enough to severely change his attitude and I've put in Ammonia drops to remove it from the water. The Nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is a little up. The cloudiness and the tint of green and all the bubbles bother me though.... on top of my fishes sudden change in attitude. What do I do????

"Ammonia Drops"?  Nothing can remove ammonia from the water, except bacterial filtration, perhaps these drops are meant to slightly detoxify Ammonia, but it will not totally detoxify it and certainly will not remove it from the water.

What level was the ammonia at when it was checked?  

I would do a good sized water change and see if there is any change in their attitude.

What I have seen happen when using bacteria products, is that while using the product the ammonia levels look great because the bacteria in the products does the job of nitrifying, but it seems this is not the same bacteria that eventually colonizes the filter, and that the natural bacteria will eventually colonize to replace the bacteria product.  I don't in fact have any science to back this up off hand, but from personal experience I always saw a return of Ammonia and Nitrite some time after discontinuing use of Stresszyme or Stability, usually a very short and not particularly intense mini-cycle.  Logically that is what I came up with that was happening. 

What kind of media are you running in your filter?

It's a dual bay, activated carbon filter that came with the tank when I got it. The filter cartrige box recommends changing out the filters every 2-4 weeks depending on the amount of fish and debris in the tank. I've changed them out once since I've gotten the tank. I have one gold fish left, though it seems fine, there is bruising, not red gills or such, but it looks as if he's been bruised  on one side. He wasn't like that last night.

The Ammonia drops I was referring to is for declouding the water and neutralizes the ammonia in the water. I put it in last night, taking out the filter cartriges as suggested. The water is clearer, and the Oscars are swimming around the tank now, not stuck to the bottom. But now the goldfish is acting all sluggish and weird....

Any Idea what would raise the temp in the tank if the heater is turned off and it's 60 degrees F outside? We aren't running any heat, so the tank should not get above 80 with the heater on... I lowered the heater to minimum, and it still read as being 84 degrees F. This morning, I checked and it was barely below 80. There is no reason for the tank to be that hot, with the heater turned down to lowest setting.

Since I got the tank to low 80 and steady at that temp, the Oscars are just merrily swimming about. The Tiger is actually at the top of the tank now attacking the bubbles. They still won't eat the food, but at least he's perked up just a bit from digging a hole out of the tank rocks. The Albino is right along side him attacking the bubbles and chasing the pleco around the tank. They are now acting normal. I don't know what in the world is going on....

:hi: to the forum.

Please, do not replace your filter media, your media is where most of the bacteria live and as soon as you go replacing it, you're removing all of the vital bacteria. The filter company just wants more money from you.
Also, there isn't much point in having carbon in your filter, carbon does make the water a little clearer but is mainly a waste of money IMO. Carbon is used for removing medication from the water, that is the only time it should be used IMHO.

You shouldn't be needing the ammonia drops, a mature tank removes the ammonia on its own. If you see ammonia, you need to perform a water change.

Your goldfish is probably sluggish because of the high temps. Goldfish and oscars don't mix very well, one of the reasons is that goldfish are coldwater fish and oscars are tropical. It would be best for the goldfish if it was rehomed.
Your goldfish is also probably creating a lot of ammonia, goldfish are really messy fish and need a really well cycled tank and heavy filtration.

80*F sounds a good temperature for your oscars, I wouldn't have it any lower than that.
If the tank is becoming hotter than the heater is set to, it is likely it is from the lights, depending on the type, they can create a lot of heat.

ok, ummm what kinds of filters would you suggests to use if not Carbon?

Sponge, bio balls/ring and filter floss are what I use.
The sponge and bio balls/rings are for the bacteria (and some mechanical filtration) and the filter floss is to keep the water looking nice by removing particles.
I replace my filter floss about every two weeks, or when ever it has lots of dirt that won't come out when washed in tank water.
The sponge and bio balls/rings only need to be replaced when they're literally falling apart.

Any suggestions about the types of pumps and such to use? I have an old school water pump that takes square cartridges... I've seen the whisper ones... and things like that... but when it comes to that part of the tank I'm clueless as to what exactly to use.

What you can do is put some bioballs in the filter, and then shove as much filter floss as you can in the filter. Replace ONLY the FILTER FLOSS every other week or so, and when the bio ball starts to fall apart, add a new one, kind of cycle for a few weeks, and taqke the old one out.

I would recommend you think about upgrading to a large external canister type filter. Oscars are very messy fish and, as they grow, any other kind of filter will struggle to keep up with the waste.

External canisters are the best type of filtration IMO.

If you can afford one and have the room, it is definitely worth getting one because, like FlutterMoth said, Oscars are messy fish.

Lost my baby albino Oscar today. No signs of external trauma, no red gills... just a little fish laying at the bottom of the tank :(. He was swimming around the tank attacking bubbles this morning...and then he wasn't. Will be getting a new filter soon with the things you said would be good. Will keep a look out for a canister filter. I'm afraid I'll lose my other oscar soon... as when I put my hand in to get the albino, Om Nom swam into my hand. Goldfish still look bruised and are staying to one side of the tank.

I did what people suggested and did a large water change. I found food particles in the water that my filter system should have caught. I don't over feed and I don't put more in than they will eat. if I do, I net it and take it out of the tank. So far Oscar Fish, goldfish and pleco all fine. Though too soon to tell if the water change helped. I would assume with the amount of food I pain stakingly netted and pulled out the tank and vaccummed up with the tank vac, that Albino Oscar died of Ammonia poisoning. From now on, I will not trust the test strips and we will be getting the master water test kit from the nearest pet smart.

***Update**** Om Nom the Oscar Fish is at this very moment clearing him a spot out. He's removed all rocks and even moved the decorations to his liking. Something he hasn't done since I got him. He's even running the gold fish out of his territory. The pleco is ok by him though :). It's been just an hour since the water change and already the fish I picked out for his spunky personality is coming back. I just wish I'd have done it sooner and maybe I could have saved Ghost. Will teach me a lesson though...Not all that glitters is a healthy tank and do not use strips to test water.

:rip: Sorry to hear that :-(

Good to know Om Nom is happy. :)

TBH, if i was you, I wouldn't get another Oscar, especially because your tank is still cycling, it will only add more waste. Om Nom will probably also be happier on his own :)

I don't plan on getting another one for a while. I once had a pair of Oscars given to me and the tank they came in. They were wonderful, but they were nearly ten when I got them, I just wanted a pair again. It was always interesting to see them interact with each other. They were older, mature fish and they'd rub up and love on each other almost like an old married couple. It was cute. Granted the pair I had, the people had used for breeding them so there was a definate one male and one female.

Oddly, when I got Om Nom and Ghost, that was why I got them. They never left each other. They still didn't when I brought them home. Where one was the other was. Even when I found Ghost in the tank, lifeless, Om Nom wouldn't leave his friend. Even tried to bite me when I picked him up but seemed just to have enough strength to swim into my hand and rub against his friend before swimming away. I hope he stays happy, but I have no doubt he'll miss his little buddy. People say Oscars are tempromental, secluded and even antisocial fish... I have my doubts, but we will see.

So far though, Om nom is swimming, looking around, moving things.... he still won't eat, but I'm thinking it's all the stress. He still goes to where I found Ghost though and just hovers for a minute before swimming a few lengths away. Makes me wonder if fish grieve.

I would get rid of the goldfish soon, as they are coldwater fish and oscars are tropical. Also, goldfish tend to be messy and that means more ammonia in an uncycled tank.

Most reactions

Back