First Planted Tank ... Suggestions Please!

shaunb_2001

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking to build my first planted tank, and would like some suggestions on the set-up from anyone that has any experience with planted tanks, have seen some fine examples on here!

Have just bought a juwel rio 180, am planning on using the built in filter.

Will i need to use all of the filter media that it comes with? I have seen a few aquariums on here that only use some of the media, wasnt sure if this was to aid the plant life or just as a personal preference.

Am going to use a nutrient substrate, although im not sure which one is best, any ideas?

Also Im going to use a Nurafin unit for CO2, will 1 be enough for this tank size(180l)?

hi

ive copied this from the nutrafin leaflet i got with my unit for you

aquariums upto 75.7l you will need 1 unit
75.7l upto 151.4l you will need 2 units
151.4l upto 227.1l you will need 3 units

hev..

I would not use the Nitrate or carbon sponges in the filter, these can remove nutrients from the water that are needed.

In terms of the substrate there are quite a few choices, and a lot will depend on how much money you want to spend. I currently use AquaSoil (would def. recommend) and Florabase (don't particularly like the colour but plants are growing well), and have heard good stuff about Tropica.

hi

ive copied this from the nutrafin leaflet i got with my unit for you

aquariums upto 75.7l you will need 1 unit
75.7l upto 151.4l you will need 2 units
151.4l upto 227.1l you will need 3 units

hev..

thankyou :)

added to my shopping list

I would not use the Nitrate or carbon sponges in the filter, these can remove nutrients from the water that are needed.

In terms of the substrate there are quite a few choices, and a lot will depend on how much money you want to spend. I currently use AquaSoil (would def. recommend) and Florabase (don't particularly like the colour but plants are growing well), and have heard good stuff about Tropica.

im not looking to go too mad, will have a look into those three, is it best to mix substrate or would i be okay using just one?

thankyou for the advice, i wont bother taking the nitrate and carbon sponges out of their packages then :)

also how much substrate should i use? would a layer about 6-7cm deep be enough?

I think the general amount of substrate is about 2inches for plants, Correct me if im wrong people.:p

OOopsies didnt realise this was from a similar topics post Sorry :p

Most reactions

Back