First Marine Experience

Thanks alot for the help mate!

Yep, after a touch more searching these look to be feather dusters, I've counted at least 10 of the little guys already.

I can 100% guarentee you my powerhead reads:

Maxijet
made in Italy
MJ 1000 950 lph
13.8w

It is quite old, but it works so well...... Im thinking of getting an attatchment for the outlet which will spread the flow over a larger area.

I am looking for a 4 bulb T5 fixture, but I may consider a 2 bulb one if it will be suitable.

Thanks once again, I'll upload pictures shortly.

JJ

As promised:

SN150508.jpg

SN150506.jpg

Please excuse the very temperary lighting and pathetic amount of LR, as I mentioned, these bits will be added high on the stack for attatching corals, Large pieces of LR to come.

Also, the tank is crystal clear, it looks like that due to the lighting.

JJ

Haha, ok, wasnt trying to call you a lier... I just have never seen a 1000. Maybe a ways back, they had this, or maybe its just a euro manufactured pump, never meant to come to america. anyways, if you can get another that is comparable to the size of this pump, then you should be fine.

Looks good so far, and i do agree to atleast go with the 4 bulb T5 set-up, but i figured that the one I linked could work seeing as how its pretty cheap IMO and will do the job until a few months down the road when the tank fully matures and you think about putting corals in :good:

Hi mate, do you go into cyberaquatics? They're across the Tyne from you in Gateshead Team Valley....v. good shop! :good: They started out 100% marines but have expanded into reptiles and freshwater now. Excellent selection of marine fish, corals and marine supplies.

I didn't take any of your words to be in that manner, Ox, dont worry, I am very greatful for the reply! Yes, I think another MJ would be great for the other side of the tank, but I'm considering changing for a pair of hydor koralias.

Right, so as it stands, I agree with you're advice and will be looking at a 4 bulb T5 unit. That should deliver enough light for what I want to keep :)

And Norite, I havent been over there, but I definatly will now on you're reccomendation, thanks. I have been going to "marine life" in Whitley bay, and it is also a fantastic store, with very helpful staff. This shop is a bonus for me as it isn't far from where I live, so transport times are minimal for livestock.

Im hoping the T8 light will support anything in the liverock (and the bits of liverock I'm getting soon) for a few weeks until I can buy my new light.

Thanks once again guys, I'll keep you posted.

JJ

i would agree with bigc on the lights. i would go for a metal halide unit. I went for LEDs and i dont think i would get away with hard corals unless i went crazy and added loads. Decent metal halides can be had pretty cheap 2nd hand off ebay.Loads of people are always upgrading so sell off bits of kit. No reefer ive dealt with yet has been dodgy either.

check local reef clubs. I just bought a 175W halide ballast/spyder reflector and two 14K bulbs for $75 (prob retail for close to $200 brand new) :)

But honestly, T5's are prob enough, even if you get a few hard corals. I keep sps under T5 and the sps is doing fine... maybe not super growth but it still looks great

Ox :good:

Thanks once again guys,

I am hoping I can use a T5 setup, as I don't initially intend on keeping hard corals, and unfortunatly, I havent been able to source a local reef club, but have been scouting ebay etc for great deals.

I think I will stay clear of the LED Solid State Lighting, so thanks for the input.

Also, my indonesian LR is already showing some coraline, although its a reddish - pruple colour. Will, in time, I be able to grow that gorgeous purple coraline? Providing I keep the water stats perect? Can anyone also tell me if it is worth paying an extra £4 per kilo for fiji LR? (fully cured too) If this gives a better colour coraline I'd be more than happy to buy some. I'm guesing it's irrelevinat, but I am keen to learn more.

Also, before anyone asks, I have not even thought about stocking, at the moment fish are a complete afterthought. I will most likely be building this reef for months before fish are considered.

Lastly, I have big tub of Rowa phos, but I have no idea where to put it in the aquarium, as I have no mechanical filtration into which I can place it. I heard it should be put in ladies tights to hold it?

Thanks for reading,

JJ

You should have gotten a bag with the Rowaphos, but I don't see a problem using tights...! I have a tetratec 700 external canister filter - I put the rowaphos in there, along with activated carbon.

I was given the tub of rowa phos, so it had no bag. Thing is, I have no filter to put it in etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

JJ

I was given the tub of rowa phos, so it had no bag. Thing is, I have no filter to put it in etc. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

JJ

Get an external canister filter, like I did. You can get a decent one for your tank size for about 50 quid....

you can get a small phosban reactor for quite cheap... you need to supply your own powerhead (I use a Maxi-Jet) but it is fairly inexpensive. But if you want to run something else like carbon, then it may be cheaper to just get a canister as you can run the two media in the same container then.

Ox :good:

Who says you can't run carbon and phosphate media in a phosban reactor? I run both in one ;)

Most reactions

Back