Fireworm!

What you have there my friend is a Bearded Fireworm (Hermodice carunculata) - DO NOT TOUCH IT!

These guys grow to between 7cm - 10cm and have hollow, venomous bristles so DO NOT TOUCH IT!

They are coral munchers, eating soft and hard corals, anemones, and small crustaceans so get it out but DO NOT TOUCH IT!

I've found this site which will tell you all about them, and by the way DO NOT TOUCH IT!

You get the message :p

:crazy: Thanks Aquascaper....

Thank god i didn't buy any corals already then, do you think he could be reponsible for the death of my cleaner shrimp and a couple of snails?

I think i'll have to try removing the rock again but while he's eating so he only has time to dart back in, is he worth anything or just a ourney down the loo?
I'll try flushing him out with some carbonated water or something? (In a separate tank of course)
Thanks again :S
Dan

They are a common hitch-hiker on certain types of live rock but an unwanted one, doubt it's worth anything to anyone.

It sounds pretty plausible that it could be the culprit behind the loss of the shrimp and snails as they are described as voracious predators :X

You could try placing some meaty food in a trap like an old soda bottle and see if it will crawl in :dunno:

Well after several unsuccessful attempts at the soda bottle method i today removed the rock he's been in.

Before my water change i removed all rocks around the one he's been hanging out in.

After the waterchange i checked to see if he was in his favourite rock and he sure was :look:

I've put it in a bucket and then done a declhorinated FW dip to no avail. I don't think he got out of the rock because i was watching it while lifting and he had no where to leave. At the moment the rock is just setting in some cold SW in the bucket.

I'm just keeping my eye out trying to spot him, i'm sure i hade a glimpse of him through a small cranny but nothing much. Can't see him anywhere in the tank so i think i have him under siege :hey:

Just want to get him out of here and then restock my cleaner crew

I hold him responsible for 3 cerith snails all found near his rock and two nas snails both shells hidden in his rock and then the death of a £15 shrimp (F**ka)

Dan

*sigh*

I'm pretty sure i've found this Little #~$%!£@?!!!! in another rock! All i can see is the two antenna things but they have the sme striped pattern as i remember :angry:

I'm running out of ideas how to get rid of this thing. Poor petrol in the tank and then drop in a match? He'd probably still survive Grrrrrrr!

Dan :(

Edit: Well i moved the rock the other rock that i think i saw him in and i couldn't get it out :( I'm not taking any more pieces out now though as i'll have none left :(
This rock will probably take weeks before i can add it back to the tank.
I've left the heater on max in the bucket for the night hoping i can make him want to get out :dunno:

Dan

:wizard: :band: :drink: :hooray: :drinks: :thanks: !!!!

Got the little so and so :D

He was in the first rock after all. I think the heat must've got to him, as i just saw him come and kind of flop around a little before lying half dead. Took ages to get him out he was in a tight gap i did break half of hime but got the other half straight after :)

He's about a 6" and now down the loo :lol: I think it is actually a bristleworm, i'll load pics up tommorow (Must sleep, time to wake up in 5 hours!)

Dan

Here he is (was)

ttworm.jpg

tt1worm.jpg

EEEEEEWWWWWW! Oh, now I know I'll get one of those when I setup my SW, my luck is that bad!

Glad you got rid of him/her/it/whatever!

I do the happy fish dance for your victory against the evil bristle worm, excuse me fire worm.

:fish:

EDIT: I'm being cheeky. Thanks for the head's up. :p

Most reactions

Back