Finding A Tank...?

Gun

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys

Anybody know any decent online stores that sell/deliver fish tanks in the uk?

I've found a few, but don't know where to start :unsure:

I'm after a tank roughly 48" x 20" x 18" with some sort of dimmer/timmer system in the hood and an external canister type filter system.

Also, do you guys know where I can get something to sit this on? Ideally, the height of the cabinet would be no more than 20" :rolleyes:

The confusion seems to be whether I can get what I need 'all in one' or buy it seperately...which may end up cheaper :unsure:

Hmmm.....

Dont know if these guys will have anything that fits your spec, but Ive had a couple of tanks from aquariumsdelivered.co.uk and they have been very good, but they dont do made to measure if thats what your looking for. But they do have Rena, Fluval, Juwel, Aqua One most of the big names :good:

you can also try seapets.co.uk - they've got local shops around uk where u can phone them...

:good:

Would it have to be deliverd? because if not, try looking in the yellow paper (ad trader i think its real name is) there is allways tons of real cheap full set-ups in there for a decent price.

Thank's guys for the advice :good:

Yeah johno the second hand market could definitely be an option. I've had a look through the local ad trader and seen a few I may enquire about. Regarding 'pick up'...20 miles is probably max for me.

The vision I have in my head of a 4ft bowfront with a controlled lighting system and decent external filter looks to be to expensive for me to purchase 'new'.

Ok, say I found a 48" x 18" x 18" full set up (jewel/rena or something).

1) How tricky/easy would it be to set up a dimming/ moonlight system? Could I add a dimmer to the existing tubes and then use LED's for the moonlight...?

2) Would the correct size External filter for this size tank sit in a cabinet which is 18" in height? I understand these type of filters connect through the bottom of the tank...?

About the contents of this tank. Well, this is very vague at the moment. I know I would like live plants with a sand substrate. Or maybe a mix of sand and gravel :D Or what about areas of dark/light sand and areas of gravel....? It would be cool to have some sort of rock/fake rock background also :)

Question about the substrate (regarding best possible conditions for plants..within a reasonable budget) Do I need any other layers of substrate under the sand...maybe peat or something...?

Questions, questions, questions lol!

Gun, most of the canister filters that aer run external have hoses that go into the top of the tank. I'm sure they could be connected to a bulkhead fitting on the tank but if the tank doesn't have a fitting they can still be installed.Canisters vary from about a foot tall to well over 18 inches tall. You would need to shop carefully if the cabinet is only 18 inches tall.
A dimmer will not work with a fluorescent fixture. If you have a light fixture with separate "ballast" for each bulb, that's that transformer thing, you could switch the bulbs on and off separately. A timer can be mounted in the line from the wall to the tank light and will control the lights nicely for your plants. I use timers that I plug into the wall outlet and hen plug the lights into the timer. I have a few small blue LED lights in 2 of my tanks and just leave them on all the time. They use almost no power and you only actually notice they are on when the tank lights and the room lights are off. Then they do give a nice moonlight effect to the water and the decorations.

Hi OldMan47.

Thanks for the advice...much appreciated :good:

Your lighting setup sounds pretty good...have you any pics here of your tank? (I seem to be asking everybody for pics of there tanks lol!)

Hi nelly. Thanks for the links...will check them out :good:

Regarding the lighting. This would be in an ideal world, lol!...

Something, whereas the lighting can be set to fade to moonlight over a 'user set' period. Say, 6-8 hrs daylight...then fading over a 1-2hr period to moonlight The tube/tubes wouldn't be to bright, but still show the colour of the fish well and would be good for live plants.

Most reactions

Back