Finally Sterbai Eggs

More eggs, I collected 37 eggs(8 on the glass, 4 on the skull deco, 8 on the leaves of Java Fern and 17 in the spawning mop).

When I went to take some water out, I noticed there are some eggs on the leaf of Java Fern. I thought it was earlier than usual but I guess they did it this morning. I found 10 on the leaves of Java Ferns and 55 more in the spawning mop. I guess I collect not long after they made them, they are stickier and softer than usual.
So it is early afternoon and I already got eggs from all 3 of my corys. Now I need to go change the water in the fry tanks.

Just like people say, life goes on. In my case, eggs goes on and so does water change. And feeding.

I guess I finally made up with my Sterbais. I knew they were kind of mad at me for last few days since I took out the drift wood with Java Fern and replaced with not high enough coconut shell to hide under. And again took that out and replaced with bigger driftwood with space to go underneath to hide but no plants.
So for the peace offering, I gave them special food they love last night and clean the filter sponge and gave them extra fresh water in the morning.

So I guess they satisfied. They left me 5 eggs on the glass and 130 more in the spawning mop. And this is as close as I can train to lay eggs at the place I want them to put. In the spawning mop but nowhere else. Ok, so 5 eggs got missed the mark by few inches. I can live with that.

So I almost trained my fish although the tank is kind of look empty. No plants. So I put some floating plants.

I guess I finally made up with my Sterbais. I knew they were kind of mad at me for last few days since I took out the drift wood with Java Fern and replaced with not high enough coconut shell to hide under. And again took that out and replaced with bigger driftwood with space to go underneath to hide but no plants.
So for the peace offering, I gave them special food they love last night and clean the filter sponge and gave them extra fresh water in the morning.

So I guess they satisfied. They left me 5 eggs on the glass and 130 more in the spawning mop. And this is as close as I can train to lay eggs at the place I want them to put. In the spawning mop but nowhere else. Ok, so 5 eggs got missed the mark by few inches. I can live with that.

So I almost trained my fish although the tank is kind of look empty. No plants. So I put some floating plants.

Just about I thought I trained the female Sterbais to lay the eggs in the easy to collect location. The eggs on everywhere. :shout:
I found more eggs at other place than in the spawning mop. There were even few on the backside of driftwood. I changed the driftwood with Java fern on it to plain driftwood to discourage them to use. Anyway, I found 95 eggs and I dropped like 5~6 eggs. I hate when I do that. Hopefully the eggs I dropped was bad ones. Obviously they were not the lucky eggs.

I knew they are doing some nooner today. And I saw they are still frisky at 2. So I leave them alone and do some errand of my own. And came back and collect those eggs. I saw a single tiny egg on the top of driftwood and rest were in the spawning mop. All 106 of them.
If I don't know better, they are testing me.(put the eggs in organized manner, then spread all over and now back to the organized again) :rolleyes:

There weren't many but I just collected 39 eggs. And I saw her drop eggs few times. And I actually tukey bastered some eggs from the bottom before some vaccum cleaner suck them up. :rolleyes:
I guess some fish is crumsier than another. Probably I would had more eggs if she didn't drop so many eggs. :shifty:

I am pretty happy to find all 83 eggs except 1 on the glass in the spawning mopyesterday evening. (it is easier to collect)
Maybe they are learning. :rolleyes:

So I took out about 2 out of 10G so I can use this water to change the fry tank water yesterday morning. And tap it up with new water. And fed them and I notice they start making eggs around 11 a.m. And I had few errands to run. Anyway came back around 6 p.m. And I figure they are finished so collected 95 eggs. 5 on the front glass and rest in the spawning mop. So far nothing unusual.
But I noticed there are more eggs when I went to feed at night. There were not many, I only find 9 more eggs. 4 on the glass and 5 in the spawning mop. So I guess they were not quit finished when I collect eggs at around 6 p.m. :rolleyes:
Also I noticed the females are carrying 4~5 eggs at a time instead of 2~3 eggs that they used to carry when they start spawning in March. I don't think the egg size has changed but I guess they produce more eggs per T now.

I guess I forgot to post in here.
I got 70 more eggs on 6/23 Saturday. All in the spawning mop except 2~3 on the glass.

What are you going to do with all the eggs? :crazy:

Hi K.J.

I know it seems a lot of eggs I collect. But unfortunately not all hatch, and not all the hatched wigglers absorb egg sack and become free-swimming. Probably that is why they lay so many eggs. It is only few months since I start getting eggs from my Sterbais. So I am not sure how many are actually make to the miniature adult out of the 100 eggs I collect. But I don't think even half are growing, to tell you the truth.

I probably shouldn't say this until they are ready to be re-homed but I probably trade or sell at the aquarium society meeting. And if I still have more than the demand, I will take them to the local store.

BTW, I did collect 87 more eggs this evening. All were in the spawning mop.

I found 14 eggs yesterday evening in the spawning mop. This is not much. I don't know what is the deal. This is such a tease. :huh:

If only I could read the fish mind or if only they could talk.

I did find 4 eggs yesterday. Once again, it was a small batch.
It is as if she had to make some space in her tummy for those yummy red spaghetti. :shifty: Which they found some in the sands mysteriously yesterday. :rolleyes:
And I got 72 eggs in the spawning mop this evening. I saw the males flying in the midwater like hummingbird near female before I left. :shifty: That was around noon after the some breakfast and some fresh water. And I run some my errands and came back and collect those eggs.

Also I knew they are making some eggs after the breakfast.
But I knew it's gonna be fun to collect today. They are sticking them everywhere. On the glass, decoration, glass thermometer and even the hair algae on the decoration.
Anyway, I found 72 total. 55 in the spawning mop and rst on the various places

I guess I forgot to write here for few days. I did find the 63 eggs on 7/1(Su).
38 eggs on yesterday. And found 130 eggs today, usually all or most in the spawning mop. But today some reason, it was all over the place. I found 28 on the glass and 102 in the spawning mop.

Most reactions

Back