Finally Have Fry!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BBK1

Reaction score
I have had my 400g pond set up for 3 years now. When I set it up I decided against adding koi because the pond is very narrow. So I went over to petsmart and bought 5 feeder goldfish about 1.5". Well this year they are 8" long and have successfully spawned!!! I went out to my pond the other day and noticed about 20 fry swimming in a small school. I netted 5 to raise and let the goldies feast on the rest. 3 years ago these fish were 1.5" and in a couple of months they will have their own little 1.5" fish.

I'll post some pics in a few minutes!!!!

Lucky you :D My goldies have spawned every yearr since getting them. I actually noticed one of them is pregnant today, those that are bright colours already will be prey first so try and catch them the darker ones will take bout 8+ months to colour up.

Here's a couple of pics of the fry and the pond they came out of. I took some vids too, I'll post them when they get done uploading.

100_0140.jpg

100_0143.jpg

100_0145.jpg

well done raising babies is fun
i have raised 2 lots now i have them in my tanks growing on they keep my oldies young at heart lol

Thanks for the replies guys.

This is BBK1. I just remembered my pass for this account.

I actually forgot the username first, but after 2 hours of searching through papers in the computer desk I found it. Only problem was that I did not write the pass down and forgot the email address that I used. I had to spend 2 more hours guessing passwords.

Update, They are doing great! 3 of them are in a 30g and two are still in the 5g until they get big enough that the angelfish won't eat them.
The ones in the 30g are already 1 to 1.5" long!!!

100_0153.jpg
100_0154.jpg

100_0155.jpg

100_0156.jpg

100_0157.jpg

100_0158.jpg

2 of them are going to be orange and one is going to turn white like the daddy. You can see the white one in the 4th pic, hes the one doing a backflip.

2 of them are going to be orange and one is going to turn white like the daddy. You can see the white one in the 4th pic, hes the one doing a backflip.

I would say it was too early to tell I have had pure black fish change to albino over the course of a week. The ones which I thought might have been shubukins when young are now golden completely except for a thin black stripe down their backs.

Daddy was a white comet. Something in the genetics that makes them turn white so there was a chance some of the little ones would turn white as well.

Update: They are all doing great, got them started on greens this week and their color is developing great.

100_0186.jpg

Most reactions

Back