Fin Rot (i Think)

ryan422

Reaction score
Had my Tropical Fish for 3 weeks Now.

Male/female guppys tails are all torn

tiny cotton wool dots on 80% of my fish.

White female Molly Dies Tuesday
Female Sailfin Molly Died Wednesday
Male Sword Dies Today (Thursday)

As far as i am aware it is Fin Rot.
I have been treating them since Tuesday by pouring the correct amount of Treatment in my tank every 24 hours.

The cotton wool spots have not got any better on my fish, is this normal at an early stage?
How long to get it fully gone?
Is there any more tips you can give me other than the treatment i am using?

Ryan

Sadly the tank is probably still cycling and guppys are very fragile to water quality it sound like columnaris with a second bacteria infection of finrot on top, which once the get secondary infections it hard to save the fish.

Not the writer of this information below.
Columnaris (a.k.a. Mouth Fungus)

Symptoms:

An infected fish will have off-white to gray cotton-like patches on the head, fins, gills, body and particularly the mouth. In time, these areas will develop into open sores. Gill swelling may occur, gill filaments may stick together and excessive mucus may develop in the gill area. Rapid breathing can be seen. Fins may deteriorate to the point of leaving the fin rays bare. Muscles may be inflamed and capillaries may rupture. Fish, particularly livebearers, may exhibit "shimmying". Infection may be acute (killing an infected fish within hours), or chronic (lingering for several days before eventually killing the fish). As with most diseases, not all symptoms need be present.

Cause:

The bacterium Flexibacter columnaris.

Treatment:

Ensure that your water conditions (e.g., Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, Nitrate levels, and water temp.) are within their proper ranges. If not, perform a water change and/or treat the water accordingly. Recommended medications include: Furanace, Fungus Eliminator, Fungus Cure, Furacyn, Furan-2, Triple Sulfa, E.M. Tablets, Tetracycline, or Potassium Permanganate. Medicated foods are also recommended. Columnaris can be highly infectious and may quickly kill all aquarium inhabitants; therefore, early treatment is essential. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium they inhabit should be treated.

O damn,

Lots of money spents on my fishes, shame to see them die off, how does fin rot start off, do you know??

Ryan

You sure its not ich as that looks like grains of salt? The finrot is a secondary infection and if the meds dont seem to make any difference then look at something else.

Is the tank new as well?and are yout esting ammonia etc?

Could be right black angel don't no if i'm coming or going tonight.

Do the white spots look like grains of salt, like the fish has been sprinkled in salt.

It was a new tank yes.

they are bigger than salt, proably tad bigger than sugar grains.

i dont test for nitrate and all that, only test for water to be neutral which it is PH 7

Ryan

You will need a bacterial med for the finrot, as livebearers are very prone to bacterial finrot, good luck.

If the tank is all livebearers the aquarium salt is a good thing to add at 1 levelt easpoon per gallon and again 12 hours later tog et a .2% solution. This will kill off anything if its fungal but if it is ich then you will need to take it to .3% which is another level teaspoon per gallon.
What is the tanks temperature? I suggest as well you find out what the other levels are as theres no point treating them if the water isnt at its best.

O damn,

Lots of money spents on my fishes, shame to see them die off, how does fin rot start off, do you know??

Ryan
When I was new to the hobby all my tetras had this problem. I think it started from infections caused by bad water quality and some minor fighting in the tank. I was not aware of the stresses on the fish that a new tank "cycling" causes. At exactly 3 weeks I had massive nitrite readings right when signs of columnaris were visible. Nitrite is not too toxic but after high ammonia for 3 weeks prior, the fish could not take it.

I would suggest look at how “fishless cycling” works, if you ever get more tanks; it saves money. I do understand that few practice fishless cycling on their first tank, as I did not; it is hard to wait to get your first few fish when you are so excited.

I have spoken with about 100 different people at my 8or9 local fish stores and come to the conclusion that about 1% know what they are talking about. I get much better info off this site , and others. Point being that most stores do not talk about fishless cycling, for obvious reasons.

If the tank is all livebearers the aquarium salt is a good thing to add at 1 levelt easpoon per gallon and again 12 hours later tog et a .2% solution. This will kill off anything if its fungal but if it is ich then you will need to take it to .3% which is another level teaspoon per gallon.
What is the tanks temperature? I suggest as well you find out what the other levels are as theres no point treating them if the water isnt at its best.

i thought it was 1 teaspoon per 5G ?? with mine being a 70G tank, i feel 70 teaspoons is a helluva lot to add !!

No its not, a teaspoon per 5 gallons would give very little salinity.

Yes in the US 1 level tablespoon per 5 gallons or in the UK 1 level tablespoon per 3 gallons.

5 Fish Dead. :sad:

Can I use table salt? or does it have to be aquarium salt?

I have 126 litres so thats 27.5 gallons so should that be 9 level table spoons!!!!!

should I do a half water change? if so before or after the salt adding.

should I stop adding the Finrot medication liquid? or carry on as well as the salt?

Ryan

Most reactions

Back