Filtration.

Thedoctor

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 5 ft tank on invisable supports so no cupboards for filters. The plan was to put a Fluval fx5 under the floor using a hatch door for access but there isn't enough clearance, I'd need another 4" depth. Next plan in line was to put it outside and run the pipes through the wall.

I have since thought about using a pond filter system so i wouldn't need to build a box for the fx5.

Any thoughts/recommendation/experience regarding this would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I have a 5 ft tank on invisable supports so no cupboards for filters. The plan was to put a Fluval fx5 under the floor using a hatch door for access but there isn't enough clearance, I'd need another 4" depth. Next plan in line was to put it outside and run the pipes through the wall.

I have since thought about using a pond filter system so i wouldn't need to build a box for the fx5.

Any thoughts/recommendation/experience regarding this would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you're in love with the stand, it sounds like the easiest and probably most cost effective plan of attack would be to just get a different one.

The stand is part of the decor of the room.

The actual stand is a steel frame which is hidden behind a show log stand. The tank is part of the rooms decoration...not just a tank.

Having an idea of the house layout & construction would help. Since it seems you have no problem piping it outside for filtration another area of the house may be an option.

Having an idea of the house layout & construction would help. Since it seems you have no problem piping it outside for filtration another area of the house may be an option.

Piping it outside isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, but it's one of few options we can think of as there isn't really space anywhere else, noise is also a factor as powerful filtration is going to be heard.

Have you purchased a filter or are you still looking. Is there anywhere above the tank you could put a filter and maybe run it with a water pump to push the water up to the filter ? Wouldn't having the filter outside have it's own problems ? Water freezing in the pump if temperature drops to much ect. I wouldn't have thought sound will be a big issue. I have my 500l in my bedroom and the ehiem 2 pro I have is silent or as near silent as to be irrelevant. Is there anyway you could fit a filter in the hood. I know some tanks come with this prebuilt in but maybe you could get someone to build you a bespoke unit or do it yourself. Is there anything next to the tank you could conceal the filter in and run the pipes behind the frame ??

As stated, many of the canisters, & especially the Eheims are near silent. If you submerge the spray bar a desktop PC is considerably louder. I've got an Eheim 2026 running on a 65 gallon that at one time was in the living room. With adult children doing shift work it had to be silent, was, and still is.

I need a powerful filter that fits in a 18" high, 11" deep by 8" wide.
That's all the space I have to work with around the tank or 18" depth max if placed beneath floor boards.

I will post a picture up later to give a better view of our requirements.

Have you concidered having 2 smaller filters running in parallel. It does mean more expense and twice as many pipes. But i'm not really sure if this is a money is no object style of project or not.

Have you concidered having 2 smaller filters running in parallel. It does mean more expense and twice as many pipes. But i'm not really sure if this is a money is no object style of project or not.

If price wasn't an option we'd probably have a shark tank floor lol.

2.jpg

The wall to the right is the outside wall.

The log in the middle is no longer there. Would rather the filter not be on show in the middle at it detracts from the look and hopefully that will be where the dog sleeps. I'm not sure the filter even fits there (not my house).

Red marks show that space is taken by sky and surround sound.

Tank also now 'fits into' the 'stand' rather than sitting on top.

Do you have any of the wood left. Could you a fake middle leg to hold the filter ?

Most reactions

Back