Filtration Problem In 30" Deep (top To Bottom!) Aquarium...

BrownBullhead

Reaction score
I've had a major issue with my 150-gallon, 48" x 24" footprint, 30" deep (top to bottom!) aquarium. A LOT of debris is accumulating in various corners and areas around the substrate. I run a Rena Filstar xP3 *and* 3 HydroSponge #3 sponge filters, but upon water change there is TONS of debris about the water. I even pilfered two of the outtake extensions from another xP3 thinking if the tube reached closer to the substrate that more debris would be removed; this was unsuccessful.

This tank is NOT drilled nor is there a sump. The retailer who sold me the aquarium has the EXACT SAME TANK on his counter at his shop and he also uses external canister (or similar) filtration, no sump or complicated plumbing but his substrate remains clear and free of debris.

I can't return to ask him how it works though as we had a major dispute several months back and I am pretty much persona non grata at his shop.

Anyway... HELP!?

Hey. Maybe this is a stupid question but do you vacuum the gravel? The filter will only get so much. Once the debris falls to the bottom, there is little chance that it will make it's way to the filter intake. That's where the gravel vacuuming comes into play. If your water stats (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) are all within acceptable levels, then a little gravel vacuuming is all you need.
I'm sorry if i misunderstood your post. If what i'm suggesting doesn't make sense, i'd be happy to try to answer any other questions as would other members.
It sounds like you have a very nice tank. What kind of fish do you have?

cujoho78: My fishes are in my message signature... :) I vacuum but not as much as I should. It sucks having to get wet to the armpit to vacuum... 24" stand, 30" aquarium, and I am 5'7", so do the math. :) I wish I had more water movement but maybe a little extra vacuuming effort would help too. :)

Have you thought about an under gravel jet, you would connect this to the outlet of your filter, the pipes run under you gravel, so you can point the jets around the tank to n=make sure there id no dead spots where the detritus collects.

you can get gravel cleaners that are 24inch long thats what i use and my tank is also 30inch deep

my tank is only 2ft deep but its 4ft wide so think of the job i have reaching the back of my tank to vacume!
my next purchase is a snorkle and mask!!

I ended up going with the Hagen AquaClear 110 (power head) and it seems to be doing the job very well. I've also become a bit more conscientous about maintenance and using filter floss inside my xP3 filter now. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Most reactions

Back