Filters

Fishstix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am cycling a tank now with a used filter. The filter is a brand called Regent. Apparantly this is a cheap and not very good filter that is widely sold at chain stores such as Wal-Mart here in the U.S. I would like to get some kind of Bio-wheel like a Penguin or Emperor. What do you all recommend and what would it cost me? It's a 29 US gallon tank. Also, would i disrupt my cycling if i got a new filter? I'm 3 weeks into it.

I can't see how it would disrupt your cycle too much make sure you leave the other filter in, but if you want to chuck it definately wait a few months and then take it out doing extra water cycles around this time it's likely to create a mini-cycle

LOL Dolores!!!! That thread confused me even more!!!! Thanks for posting that for me. It was very informative. How bout an Aquaclear 300? I hear they are fairly inexpensive and very quiet.

Actually the Aquaclears aren't cheap at all!!! How bout a plain old Whisper filter for a 29 gallon? They seem to be pretty cheap. I plan on having mostly smallish fish like Tiger Barbs,Danios and maybe one RTB Shark. Can i get by with a Whisper? It must be an upgrade to my crappy Regent filter!!!

I was thinking to use the MarineLand Eclipse 3 and the MarineLand Magnum 350 for my 30 gal (us) tank.

strangely enough the regent products produced for wal-mart are made by marineland who makes the penguin and emperor filters.

I have 2 5g hex's in my house one marineland and one regent. They're identical.

a penguin 330 would do nicely for you though.

I had the same filter ...probably same kit from walmart 29 gal with regent filter. I left the regent on it and added a penquin bio wheel 170 as well. Also got a penquin bio wheel 280 for a 30 gal and they have given me no trouble at all and are fairly quiet, ir that is a concern. HTH

So maybe i should just leave the Regent on there and add a Penguin Biowheel as well?

Fishstix said:
So maybe i should just leave the Regent on there and add a Penguin Biowheel as well?
I would unless the regent is very noisy and in that case I'd leave it for a few months with both filters then remove it

Sky042 said:
Fishstix said:
I would unless the regent is very noisy and in that case I'd leave it for a few months with both filters then remove it
No,it's very quiet. I'll leave it for now and will start looking for a good price on a Penguin bio-wheel.

tstenback brought up something that makes me think ...

A Regent filter, to the best of my knowledge, is just a Penguin, but without the BioWheel (this may not be technically true), right?.

If so, could you just purchase the correct size BioWheel and and clips, and slip it into the Regent? Or, is there a size/room issue?

Of course, the cost of just the BioWheel and clips, retail, would probably be about the same as a new Penguin or Aquaclear online.

And, personally, Stix, I don't have a Regent (I've got a Penguin 170, though), and if a Regent is a Penguin without the wheel, then I'd have to guess that it would probably be slightly better than a Whisper, which personally I think are the crappiest HOB filters I've ever seen. Certainly, I wouldn't expect your Regent to be any worse.

Lastly, if you can buy online, AquaClears aren't too expensive at all (at least in the US). Scanning the prices at Big Al's Online, I see....

Whisper 30 -- 14.69
Penguin 330 -- 20.49
AquaClear 300 -- 21.49
(Emperor 280 -- 29.99)

Thanks Bol. I may go with a Penguin or Aquaclear. Big Al's looks like a great place to order from. The Penguin 170 is on sale actually for under $18. How do you like yours? Would it be good for my 29 gallon? I just want something that will be quiet and effective.

Big Al's has very good prices, but in my experience, they can be a bit slow getting the shipment out the door (usually takes about 3-4 days for my online orders to ship). Also, they don't automatically (via email) provide tracking numbers for shipments, which can be annoying.

Drs Foster and Smith are usually quicker to ship, in my experience, but their prices are sometimes a little higher.

I've also heard good things about That Fish Place, escpecially from LFS owners.

Most reactions

Back