Filters Comparision And Running Costs?

What is the cheapest, efficient filters?

• Bubble filters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UGF

• External (combo eg. mechanical & biological)

• Internal (combo eg. mechanical & biological

• Total voters

TribeOfShroom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Right as we all know there are many different types of filters available for our tanks. Now I've just worked out with my current set up I'm going through about £40 a month on electric :crazy: because I have 200W of filters running (as well as the 275W of lighting)

Now I'm starting to think "hmm maybe I can get the same amount of filtration, but using less power?" Then it came to me..... Bubble filters :shifty:

Now I know they are biological filters and don't do much in the way of mechanical filtration, but is it worth getting rid of my 50W filters and replacing the with 2 bubble filters (for example Algarde 200's) that run perfectly off one 4W air pump :good:

I mean running 200Watts of filters its more expensive than running 12Watts of air pumps. So is there any advantages or disadvantage?

Please debate and discuss.

*bump* soz, just hoping someone out there knows a good answer? or at least starts a good discussion. I'm hoping this will be very educational (not just for me).

whats size tank are we talking?

also what filters do you have to use 200w? im my 2 filters on my 185litre tank are about 50 watt max.

chris

edit my filters are 13 watts together on an overfilterd mbuna tank

Hi there, I use air driven undergravels on all the tanks where I can as I find them HIGHLY efficient biological filters, easy to maintain, and cheap! - however it does depend a bit on what fish you are keeping. UGs are not really suitable for tanks containing big fish that like to dig alot (without modifications) and they are not always suitable for tanks where you are growing alot of plants although there are ways to get around the plants/ugf issues......

Ok, I'll quickly I apologise. There was a bit of a mis calculation on my behalf. I run my tanks on tetra tec 400 in+ filters.

I have: 2 in my 125L (yes I know, but its only 5L's more than their designed for and I haven't had any problems),
1 in my gf's tank and one in one of my betta tanks.

Each I've just found out use 7W each :blush: :blush: my bad lol

Still, 4W's to power 2 bubble filters compared to 7Ws per tetra tec is cheaper, but am I comprimising on water quality using the bubble filters.

Btw I already have 2 Algarde 200 bubble filters (matured) ready for my betta breeding tanks.

So

4W = 2 filters. Cheaper and designed to do 200L tanks each.

or

14W = 2 filters. More expensive, but possibly better filtration?

Air driven filters do seem a more appropriate means of doing things, not only for the energy consumption, but if you're a bit lack on plug space having a plug to run 2 filters is better than 2 for 2.

Anyone else have an opinion? I would like to see a full spectrum of answers to cover every possible aspect.

As I've always been told " it's better to see both sides of an argument, than to be single minded"

There does seem to be a lot of people voting for externals. Does anyone care to explain why these are possibly the cheapest, efficient form of filtration?

Air driven sponge filters. CFC runs most of the tanks in his fish room off of one air pump and a few cheap sponges. Can't beat that for efficiency.

CFC if you're out there, do you mind giving a thought or two for the practicality of air driven filters?

my filter a Hydor prime 30, keeps a 180 or so litre tank well filtered, for only 30w. and means i do little or nothing to the tank itself, to maintain it.

my filter a Hydor prime 30, keeps a 180 or so litre tank well filtered, for only 30w. and means i do little or nothing to the tank itself, to maintain it.

Running 24hrs a day would use up £24.44 a year. Not bad, but imagine running say 3 of those with all the gubbings of a tank eg. lights etc. It all adds up in the end and unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees :sad:

I'm running 3 breeding tanks (80L a piece), one 125L, one 55L (gf's tank) and lil 25L. Soon will have to accomadate more tanks for baby bettas. Would that type of filter be suitable in both filtration and cost effectiveness?

*EDIT*: Come on!! lol I know you're watching and voting. Give us a reason to your decision. The more information, the more educational it'll be for us all. :p

my 2 main tanks have 3 externals. (bigger one of the two has 2) fry tank has a small internal filter (soon to be a super small external).

i prefer external personaly as there good filter in general and give you maximum space in the tank.

i would only go to bubble filters if i was to have a fish house with a good few tanks.

personaly from your point i would stick to the filters you have. if they work and do there job then imo there no point changing it.

chris

my 2 main tanks have 3 externals. (bigger one og the two has 2) fry tank has a small internal filter (soon to be a super small external).

i prefer external personaly as there good filter in general and give you maximum space in the tank.

i would only go to bubble filters if i was to have a fish house with a good few tanks.

personaly from your point i would stick to the filters you have. if they work and do there job then imo there no point changing it.

chris

Hmm this is a good point, why fix something that doesn't need fixing. But I am trying to reduce what it's costing me on electricity without comprimising on water quality. So would that type be appropriate?

Air driven sponges work perfectly for me because of the way my tanks are set up and stocked, i have large tanks with very few fish in them, bare bottoms and little decore, the sponges take care of the biological filtration and i do the mechanical when i do the weekly water change. This style of filtration wouldnt be as effective in a show tank or community tank where there is a higher level of waste and more places for organic debrie to get trapped.

I run my main tank with a huge sump and swimming pool pump and my house tank tank on a pair of externals, in these heavily stocked decorated tanks the air powered sponges would be next to useless.

Personally if your finding it costly i would ditch the plants and go with silks and cut back on the lighting, your 4 filters at 7w each are costing you about £25 a year to run between them, the 275w of lighting at 12 hours a day is costing you over £110 a year.

There does seem to be a lot of people voting for externals. Does anyone care to explain why these are possibly the cheapest, efficient form of filtration?

well i think its much to do with economy's of scale. because of the sheer size of the cannister, a smaller amount of power is needed to filter any given amount of water. the constraints on the size and amounts of filter media are also removed if the filter is no longer in the tank itself. add this to the fact, that it is no longer necessary to mess about inside the tank for cleaning, would seem to cause less upheaval to your stock. and its gota be quieter for the fish with no motor running in the water.

Most reactions

Back