Filter Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Beckett

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I am in the middle of cycling my new 38 gallon tank. I am at the end of week two so hopefully in 2 - 3 more weeks I can begin adding fish. However, before I start adding fish I was wondering if I should leave my filter as is or attempt to customize it. After reading some other threads on here I am wondering if it's really the best setup.

I have the QuietFlow LED PRO 30 (https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-led-pro-aquarium-power-filters). It is a hang on back system. It requires cartridges and I am wondering if it's worth using these? I would suspect replacing the cartridge each month would cause a loss of some beneficial bacteria... but would it be enough to cause a problem in my tank? There is a small sponge insert that I plan to just rinse in tank water and put it back in the filter, but the sponge piece is quite small. There is also a plastic grid they call a bioholster and it claims that will house beneficial bacteria, but it's just a plastic grid... no sponge material to it.

This is the filter cartridge, I use the large size: https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/replacement-filter-cartridges

So should I try to somehow customize? Or just go with the cartidges and replace every 4 - 6 weeks?

Thanks!

There are three types of "filtration," mechanical, biological and chemical. Mechanical involves water passing through media which will include a "fine" foam/sponge/floss type with or without other media. Chemical involves substances like activate carbon which actuall chemically alter the water in some way, removing this or that, depending. Biological is of course the establishment of a colony of nitrifying bacteria that deal with the ammonia/nitrite cycle. The biological filtration will occur on every surface in the filter, regardless of the substance, and it also occurs elsewhere in the tank including the substrate.

I gave that synopsis as a background. There is no need to ever replace "biological" media, just rinse it well to remove the organics (the brown/black sludge). Provided water can easily flow through filter media the biological filtration will occur adequately.

The sponge/foam/floss media can get clogged easily, and needs to be similarly rinsed. However, this media often gets "out of shape" easily and it may no longer do the job of mechanical filtration, and it can be replaced periodically. But any other media can stay; filter manufacturers want you to buy the cartridges regularly, but this is usually not necessary.

If chemical filtration is used, like activated carbon, this will become ineffective as it adsorbs (adsorbs, not absorbs) "stuff" like medications, dissolved organics, or whatever. Most of us never use chemical filtration, but if it is necessary,keep this in mind, it needs replacement at some point depending what it is and what is does.

Hi.
Congrats on your new tank! Make sure to keep checking all of the water levels :)
I would just keep it as it is. A dirty cartridge can clog up the filter and worsen water quality.
The filter seems like a really good one to me - I might be wrong but I don't think that changing that sponge insert will lessen beneficial bacteria.
Also, once in a while you should clean your filter. When doing a water change, gently wash some filter parts in the old aquarium water to get rid of all the muck in it.
If you don't have enough beneficial bacteria you could add a filter boost - for example the one linked below.
Tetra Filter Active - This is the one I use and it really helped me start up my aquarium.
You could also try gel balls, many people like it a lot but I have never tried them before. Bio Balls

However it's really up to you - this is just what I would personally do, perhaps some other members will think differently.
Hope this helps.:)

Hmm okay, so the filter replacement cartridges which it recommends I replace every 4 - 6 weeks do have carbon. This is the description on them:

Patented Aqueon dual-sided dense-floss cartridges contain over 25% more activated carbon than the leading brands. These unique cartridges were designed to ensure even distribution of carbon throughout for more thorough filtration and longer cartridge life.

So for the cartridge itself, would it be better to wait longer than 4 - 6 weeks? All other pieces I will plan to rinse in tank water and the tiny sponge piece I will have to assess how worn it's looking and just replace it when it seems it has really reached end of life.

Hi.
I use them just fine. :)
Yes, it's a fit expensive to change them every month.
My filter cartridge has already gotten mucky and the tanks only been running two weeks, and I've done a water change and during the water changed rinsed the filter.
If my the cartridge you mean the cotton/sponge insert, then I would change them every month/ month and a half, but it depends on what the brand is and what they reccomend.

Hmm okay, so the filter replacement cartridges which it recommends I replace every 4 - 6 weeks do have carbon. This is the description on them:

Patented Aqueon dual-sided dense-floss cartridges contain over 25% more activated carbon than the leading brands. These unique cartridges were designed to ensure even distribution of carbon throughout for more thorough filtration and longer cartridge life.

So for the cartridge itself, would it be better to wait longer than 4 - 6 weeks? All other pieces I will plan to rinse in tank water and the tiny sponge piece I will have to assess how worn it's looking and just replace it when it seems it has really reached end of life.

Activated carbon is chemical filtration and as the carbon adsorbs stuff it becomes less effective until it will not adsorb anything further. Unless you have a reason for using carbon (such as removing medications after treatment) there is really no reason to use it in a freshwater tank. If you have live plants, definitely do not use it as it will (for a time anyway) adsorb DOC (dissolved organic carbon) that plants can use.

Biological filtration will occur on any media as I said, and rinsing it periodically is all you need.

They are Aqueon Large Replacement Filter Cartridges: https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/replacement-filter-cartridges

Does the link work?

They recommend 4 - 6 weeks, so really just trying to figure out if it needs to be that or longer. I don't mind the expense of replacing them, just want to be sure I am doing what is best for the fish by doing that.
Hi.
Yep, the link works. :)
I think go with what they say. Start with changing them every 6 weeks, but if you see that the cartridge is really dirty before that time, change them more often. I think the fish will be fine with the filter cartridge being changed that often.

Rather than use carbon full time and and regularly replacing the cartridges, would it be possible to replace them with plain sponge in the filter you have? If it would be possible, I suggest you replace them as soon as possible. The cycle may take a bit longer but it's better than replacing them once you have fish.

Sponge does not need replacing until if falls apart - after several years. It just needs washing by squeezing it in old water that you take out during a water change.

Sponge does not need replacing until if falls apart - after several years. It just needs washing by squeezing it in old water that you take out during a water change.

Sorry, my bad - the filters are floss filters (I accidentally wrote sponge).

Okay... sorry I am still confused, I feel like there are conflicting opinions in this thread.

Byron, from what you are saying it seems like I should not bother with the carbon floss filters? From what I saw at my local shop this is the only option for the filter that I can buy off the shelf. Could I just remove it completely? Or would it be better to try and buy a generic replacement sponge from the pet shop and cut it to size to fit, then run the filter that way?

Aqualand, do you have live plants and are having success changing carbon floss filters every 6 weeks? I have two live plants and long term plan to do all plants and remove any artificial ones.

If I do remove the carbon floss filter and replace it with a sponge, is the filter still 'filtering' the water adequately? Sorry my knowledge is very limited here, in the past with my smaller aquarium I just did the cartridge changes like it said on the box. It did not seem to cause problems but I also had no live plants.

Also, since I saw it mentioned above that carbon can remove certain chemicals or meds from the water, would I need the carbon with the stuff I plan to regularly add to the water? Here is a list of what will likely be regularly added to my aquarium water for maintenance:
-API Stress Coat
-Aquarium Salt
-API QuickStart ( will likely phase this out after first few water changes as long as parameters are good. Seems like it's more for starting out?)
-Aquarium CoOp Easy Green Fertilizer
-Aquarium CoOp Easy Root Tabs

Would switching from the carbon floss to a sponge cause anything bad to build up in the water from the above liquid supplements?

Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to answer my beginner questions!!!

Aqualand, do you have live plants and are having success changing carbon floss filters every 6 weeks? I have two live plants and long term plan to do all plants and remove any artificial ones.

Yes, I have live plants. Some are: Anubias, Java fern, Vallisneria, Hornwort (or something looking like it) and a few others.
I also have a floss filter cartridge, it has some carbon in it, and I replace it every month. At the moment it is out because I am going through a white spot treatment, but I will put it back in after I finish the treatment. :)

We need to take a step back, as you are right, this is getting confused.

First, on those additives. Do not use API Stress Coat; it contains aloe vera and scientific data indicates that this harms fish gills long term. The API Tap Water Conditioner is the best conditioner available in my view, having looked at its properties and it is the most highly concentrated on the market so that means less is needed which is always beneficial for fish. You can use the StressCoat until you can get the TWC but change over.

Aquarium Salt--why is this being added? Salt is useful in treating some specific diseases/issues, but never as a general additive as it willnot prevent anything, and it does harm freshwater fish.

API QuickStart is OK initially, as you say, can't do harm and may help, but once gone, no more.

The plant additives are OK for now, but there are better products we can go into later, using these for now is OK.

Carbon. As previously explained, this is not needed, very few members here use carbon, except to remove medications or something. Definitely don't use it with plants. So you can replace the carbon cartridge/packet with ordinary filter foam or filter sponge. You can buy these and cut to fit.

Filtration in an aquarium is natural, it is nature carrying out certain processes. It is always safer and less trouble to let nature do what nature is best at doing, and not interfere with chemicals/carbon/additives unless they are essential (like a conditioner to deal with chlorine/chloramine is essential). The less substances added to the tank water, the healthier the fish will be because they are able to function normally.

Thanks all! Huge help as always!!! I am learning so much getting this tank setup and finally feel like I am going about it the right way (for a beginner), getting all of this info before I even have any fish stocked.

I will definitely switch over to the Tap Water Conditioner, had no idea aloe could cause damage. The label claims it's a good thing! Yikes!

Aquarium Salt - I had done research years ago for my old 22 gallon tank that said this was great to use to keep fish healthy and the directed amount on the package should be added during each water change. But I can definitely hold off on that if it's not actually a good thing. I think I got that info from an old forum I was on probably 7+ years ago.

For the filter, it sounds like I should switch the carbon floss over to a sponge that I can cut to size and just thoroughly rinse out in the water. I think I will plan to do this and obviously keep a close eye on water parameters.

Thanks all! Huge help as always!!! I am learning so much getting this tank setup and finally feel like I am going about it the right way (for a beginner), getting all of this info before I even have any fish stocked.

I will definitely switch over to the Tap Water Conditioner, had no idea aloe could cause damage. The label claims it's a good thing! Yikes!

Aquarium Salt - I had done research years ago for my old 22 gallon tank that said this was great to use to keep fish healthy and the directed amount on the package should be added during each water change. But I can definitely hold off on that if it's not actually a good thing. I think I got that info from an old forum I was on probably 7+ years ago.

For the filter, it sounds like I should switch the carbon floss over to a sponge that I can cut to size and just thoroughly rinse out in the water. I think I will plan to do this and obviously keep a close eye on water parameters.

There are manufacturers who produce good products, but also some not so good. The definition of what is "safe" for fish apparently varies according to who is using the term. There is another water conditioner widely used which has valium in it; the mind boggles.

Salt is quite harmful to freshwater fish. Here is a link to an article I wrote on the subject that explains it.

Most reactions

Back