Filter Queries

lock77

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I picked up a 260lt tank on monday for handy money. I thought at the time I could filter this tank with my fluval 206. I've done a bit of reading and this filter is only good for 200lts. So 1st question is what harm would under filtering do, I'm planning on lots of plants would this help with water quality in an under filtered tank.
Its highly likely that I may have to buy a new filter. The appropriate fluval costs around £110, not something I can justify this close to christmas. I've been looking on ebay and have found the All pond solutions 1000EF for £49.99 with an option for UV for £62.99 and the Boyu EF-25U for £49.99 with UV. Would these be powerful enough to do the job and which one would be the safest bet, I have read mixed reviews on both but would be drawn to the Boyu mainly because of the price but also because I recognise the brand. I would greatly appreciate any views on either filter. Would also like to know if the UV element is that big of an advantage and if a higher watt of bulb means cleaner water.What lph is required for 260lt?
Thanks in advance.

Just to clarify when I say handy money I should be saying its an early christmas present from my wife.

+1 for APS. I have two of their filters (1000EF in a 200L and 400-HO in a 27L) and they are awesome
http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters.html

The 1000EF is awesome, the flow in my 200L is excellent. The pipework is quality! The filter is nice and simple with 3 big media baskets and bio media and filter floss (I would recommend buying the blue course filter pads as well [http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-filters/external-filters/replacement-blue-coarse-ef-external-filter-foams-7008.html]). Its super super quiet! Well built. It's just an all round great filter!

Check both their eBay shop and their website as the prices are different sometimes.

The UV is a bit pointless in these to be honest as the water flow is probably too fast for the power of the bulb. Although better than nothing...
It would be better getting a bigger model without UV (The 1400EF is cheaper than the 1000EF+)

Go for the 1000EF or 1400EF (both without UV)

By the way, The Boyu EF, the APS EF, the SunSun HW and the AquaTop CF series filters are all made in the same factory. So read reviews about all of them! 

APS 1000EF, SunSun HW-302, Boyu EF-20, AquaTop CF300 are all the same filter!

APS are adamant that their filter is manufactured to BSI and ISO standards (whichever number/cat it falls under) 

I've read some reviews that suggest the piping on the APS filter is too heavy for the spray. Has this caused either of you any trouble?

Just been on the APS website and they reckon the 1000ef is suitable for up to 400lts, is this true?

I've only heard good things about the APS canister filters but I don't think they're available on this side of the pond (pun intended)

On the subject of the amount that a filter is rated for, consider this:  Most filters are rated based on the filter being EMPTY, which means no media or gunk buildup.  All my tanks are filtered with filters rated for at least 3 times the tank's size.  For instance I have a 20 gallon with a canister that's rated for up to 75 gallon tanks.  My 36 gallon has a canister rated for up to 175 gallons, which is almost 5 times the filtration rating!  I have to use the flow control valve to slow the flow down a bit..............

Over filtration is good for a few reasons including more surface area for the good bacteria to grow, high turnover to keep your water clean, and less filter cleaning in general.  I don't have to touch my filters for 2-4 months between cleanings.

So aim high with the GPH/LPH rating, just don't turn your tank into a washing machine. 

Definately leaning towards the APS, probably the 1400lph. Still not sure about the UV option, my tanks always manage to get hair algae. I've heard UV will do away with this and greatly improve the quality of the water.

lock77 said:
I've read some reviews that suggest the piping on the APS filter is too heavy for the spray. Has this caused either of you any trouble?
Its the same thick piping that Ehiems come with, it is heavy piping but its hooked over the side of the tank and the suction cups are really good! 

The only problem with the piping is installing it, as its wrapped in circles so when you take it out and unwrap them they just go back into a circle again. 
I soaked the pipes in warm/hot tap water for 10 mins then left hanging overnight and they have been fine since!

CrimsonBoli said:
Its the same thick piping that Ehiems come with, it is heavy piping but its hooked over the side of the tank and the suction cups are really good! 

The only problem with the piping is installing it, as its wrapped in circles so when you take it out and unwrap them they just go back into a circle again. 
I soaked the pipes in warm/hot tap water for 10 mins then left hanging overnight and they have been fine since!
Can I ask how long you've owned your APS filters? There are some bad reviews on amazon, all complaining about severe drop in flow and bad customer service.

I have had it for 5 months now I believe. Well if I leave cleaning it for a few weeks it probably does slow a little but I have not noticed. I am using the spraybar now and the distance the water travels above water is about the same as its always been.

The flow is good. However I dont have another external filter to compare it to. Compared to my old Fluval 3+ the APS 1000EF is at least double the flow

Opted for the 2000ef without the uv. Finally ordered it last night after a weekend of reading reviews all being well delivery is expected in the next couple of days. Is it normal for a grown man to get excited by such a delivery?

lock77 said:
Opted for the 2000ef without the uv. Finally ordered it last night after a weekend of reading reviews all being well delivery is expected in the next couple of days. Is it normal for a grown man to get excited by such a delivery?

Yup, sure is normal to get excited getting new tank equipment, it is for me anyway! 
laugh.png

I have been using aps filters now for 5 years, I was so impressed I have changed all my filters to aps ones now I run the 2000ef with and without uv and the 1400, out of nearly 20 filters I only ever had a problem with one, which was replaced straight away for me. Excellent company :)

Most reactions

Back