Filter Media

spencer1

Reaction score
just a quick one i hope. is there any thing i can use as filter media instead of buying it from the fish shop.

triying to save a bit of money . thanks :drool:

just a quick one i hope. is there any thing i can use as filter media instead of buying it from the fish shop.

triying to save a bit of money . thanks :drool:

:good: good question!

i know you can buy things like activated carbon and pummis from other places, though whether the pummis would be the right type for bio media, may be questionable. sponges and the like are another matter. most if not all foams sold now, tend to be treated with some form of fire retardant. i can only guess that may not be good for your fish! however there may well be someone along that knows better. so dont just take my word for it!

if your looking to save money
look no further than your LFS's pond section.

just buy everything pond size and cut to you requirements
things like floss and foam will save you tons of cash,
as will water conditioners. :good:

Good question. I don't mean to take over your thread but I always wondered also whenever I see the filter floss looking cottonly poly filler at the fablic store, craft store and such. I know it usually say 100% poly---- but I never tried using them since I am not sure of the safety. Has anyone use these instead of filter floss from the fish store?

Good question. I don't mean to take over your thread but I always wondered also whenever I see the filter floss looking cottonly poly filler at the fablic store, craft store and such. I know it usually say 100% poly---- but I never tried using them since I am not sure of the safety. Has anyone use these instead of filter floss from the fish store?
it would all depend on if the "floss" had been treated in any way.

On a related theme - I've had it suggested that using the 'ceramic' type filter media would be much better than the usual sponge type (this is in a Fluval 2+ internal) but all the stuff I've seen is loose, and I'm not sure that it would be all that straightforward to get a decent quantity in a bag in the same space the foam takes up.

I guess the wider question from the original at the top is: what else is available instead of the standard replacement foam pieces for our filters? is there anything better? Cheaper?

thanks for the replies but what about kids bath sponges or kitchen scubbers 8)

thanks for the replies but what about kids bath sponges or kitchen scubbers 8)

I've used the hard green ones in the past with limited success. They tended to clog quickly. I also used a load of old plastic hair curlers as a pre-filter. Placed them as first stage in an external before medium sponge and sintered glass/siporax (bio filter). That worked well for years.

Must agree with the wolf - buy it in pond size and cut down/use less. I bought my sintered glass from pond supplier - got about twice as much as aquarium size for same price, just happened to be unbranded.

Most reactions

Back