Filter Media Help Plz

mysty

Reaction score
I have a fluval 304 external filter and am using pre filter ceramic ring in lower tray, bio max rings in middle tray and filter floss with small ammount of carbon (i have made it into a sort of sandwich)
The problem i have is that the flow of water back into the tank is very slow and alot less powerful anyone have any ideas how i can arrange the media to regain some of force?

The low flow rate is probably brought about by air trapped in the filter or a kink in the hose. Try putting the outlet of the filter into a bucket sitting next to, or lower than the filter. Then gently tap the filter casing and see if any air comes out. (*NB* Have the power turned OFF when you do this).
If that doesn't work then remove the filter materials and set the filter back up without any media in it. Then try running it. If it still doesn't run properly then there is something wrong. A dirty impellor or blockage in one of the hoses will cause problems and reduced flow rates.
If it does work then put the filter materials in one at a time, and turn the filter on after each type of media has been added.

Personally I would replace one lot of ceramic beads with a sponge and not bother having carbon in it. Carbon removes chemicals from water, including plant fertiliser and medications. It also clogs up quickly and should be replaced every month. Unless you have lots of chemicals in your water supply I wouldn't bother about the carbon. Instead just have a layer of filter wool, but use the Dacron type, not the fluffy filter wool. The Dacron type is like a flat sheet that is pretty tough and won't come apart under water. The fluffy filter wool can lose bits that get caught up in the impellor and cause damage to the motor.

I am using the fluffy stuff so will change that asap i will also try doing what you said eliminating everything one by one :)

Thanks for the advice :)

Well yes, remove the floss and carbon and change to say more bio-max/similar if you don't mind floating particles in the water...

Or, change arround virtually all the media, as follows;

Course foam in the left side of the screen frame, medium on the other, then ceramic for half a tray, then fine foam top-up, followed by more fine foam for half the above tray, followed by either biomax or floss, and whichever of those two you diden't use in the above basket ;)

Due to the small surface area of the Fluvals, you will never get a truly "low maintanance" filter while keeping the water spotless, but that should give you 2-4weeks between cleans on a reasonably stocked tank :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back