Filter Media Donation?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ragtagcurtis

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all :good:

After reading many threads I am going to try and go down the route of fishless cycling. However my girlfriend is dead against this and I fear will lose interest fast in something that I hoped would eventually become a hobby for us both. So in that vain I was wondering if I could be really cheeky and ask for a filter donation from somebody?

I also thought of perhaps creating a scheme whereby anyone who recieves a filter donation accepts to offering someone else a filter donation in the future. This just encourages a little giving back and would helpfully help people (me :rolleyes:) meet other hobbyists.

I know I'm really new here and hope I'm not pushing my boundaries but just thought I'd ask for the favor and also propose this little idea. I'm sure this thread, or one like it could keep record of everyone who receives a donation and also when they have returned the favor. At the end of the day I'm sure everyone is here because they care about fish and want to improve their knowledge so why not work together to achieve a common goal?

Enough from me anyway. If the idea sucks just say or delete the thread, no hard feelings :)

I am sure there a plenty of members willing to donate some media but we need to know where you are at first to see if there are any matches.

Oh of course. I'm in the West midlands. Live just outside Wolverhampton but work takes me to areas such as Birmingham, Staffordshire, Walsall etc. Can normally be in any part of the West Midlands during a week.

Ragtagcurtis] said:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/150631-list-of-members-willing-to-donate-mature-filter-media-to-newbies/

Try that one : )

Ragtagcurtis] said:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/150631-list-of-members-willing-to-donate-mature-filter-media-to-newbies/

Try that one : )

That thread is so out of date,half the people on it havent been on the forum for months if not years!!
I`ve pm`d a couple of people in my region and have not heard a thing!

If anyone is in Cheshire/NW and has some mature filter media then please let me know,I will pay if necessary. :good:

What sort of filter do you have? What sort of media does it have in it?

I have two 35mm foam pieces still in my external cannister filter.
I found them the other day when i did my first major filter maintenance.
They came from an established filter from my other tank and seeded and helped to cycle my main tank filter.

They came from an established filter from my other tank and seeded and helped to cycle my main tank filter.

Its a wet and dry trickle filter same as in the aquaone ar850,it has sponge,prefilter and ceramic noodles.

sorry sweetmeister your too far away i think. The bacteria would have little chance in the current postal system!

curtis is nearer

Bacteria lasts quite a while, someone posted me some a while back. They popped some fish food in to decompose and sent it. It took around a week to arrive and on a fish-less cycle that wasn't doing anything the next day after putting it in Ammonia and Nitrite reduction was taking place. Give those bacs a good name :p

I would offer some but I'm a little stretched on filter media and currently seeding some media for my next tank at the moment.

Hey,

I have a fluvel U3 filter in the tank at the moment. I read they you can just put the filter media at the bottom of the tank and it will help the cycle.

JoshuaA - how was it packaged?

The best place to put mature media is in the filter where the water first enters so that the water can then seed the rest of th media as it travels through the filter.
I guess it would work placed in the tank as well but good practice would be near the the filter intake. Bacteria will grow on the glass and substrate but not in the volumes as it would in the filter and it would not be as stable a colony as in the filter due to tank cleaning etc.

sweetmeister - i can post one of the foam pieces but it wont be till next monday morning

Ragtagcurtis - likewise unless you want to collect but they may be difficult with work

JoshuaA - how was it packaged?

The best place to put mature media is in the filter where the water first enters so that the water can then seed the rest of th media as it travels through the filter.
I guess it would work placed in the tank as well but good practice would be near the the filter intake. Bacteria will grow on the glass and substrate but not in the volumes as it would in the filter and it would not be as stable a colony as in the filter due to tank cleaning etc.

sweetmeister - i can post one of the foam pieces but it wont be till next monday morning

Ragtagcurtis - likewise unless you want to collect but they may be difficult with work

Barry where are you located? I actually have tomorrow off work and don't mind traveling over the weekend or whenever...

The weekend is no good but if you PM me you could collect from my work place between 1030 and 1400 tomorrow.

Have a bottle of ammonia if you want it as well.

Most reactions

Back