Female Guppy or What?

motherof6

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I stopped at a new fish store that I ran across yesterday. I was just browsing (yeah right).

I found this fish in the female Guppy tank. The worker told me it was as labled. So I bought it. She was very very pregnant.

Well today she gave birth. Actually as I type she is still going.

My question is, her fry look nothing like my other guppy fry. Is she something else?

She is the big one you see broad side. She is huge compared to my other females.

Attachments

• Chubs.jpg
    Chubs.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 55
Looks like a guppy to me. :dunno:

My female platies didn't have that long peduncle, but my female guppy does.

My Guppy Fry are slim and grey. These fry are pink and very fat round bodies.

I am going to try and get some pics but they are in a breeder in the tank so it may be impossible.

I know this is not a very good pic but I have never seen guppy fry like this.

Attachments

• Fry.jpg
    Fry.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 58
:nod: If it's the female with the dark gravid spot in middle part of your picture, it's swordtail. The fry you decribed sound like swordtail fry. . . they're lighter in color and look a little different from guppy fry. (I'm very positive that your fish is a female swordtail)

Yes, She is the big one in the middle that you see broad side with the gravid spot.

;) Let me look for some pictures that you can compare her with! Trust me, she's a swordtail, but I'll still search for some pictures fro you.

These are the best pictures I can find. Compare these to you female fish and tell me if they look like a swordtail. ;)

I know they're different colors, but there are many species of swordtail.

Attachments

• Tilly.JPG
    Tilly.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 55
THANK YOU SASHA :thumbs:

I think you have solved my mystery. She does look very close. She is grey with a black tail. Her tail is thinner than others right before the fin IMO. But the nose is a ringer. That is what made me think she was something different (before the fry came).

Should I keep her in my Guppy tank or my community tank?

What species would she be?

Will she need a mate or is she ok alone? (this is all new to me)

Can I raise these fry as I do my Guppy fry?

Sorry about all the questions, I liked to be well informed.

It is a guppy. There are different types of guppies. I have seen some with black tails, such as what you posted. Plus the gravid spot is very prominent on a guppy.

;) I'm glad to have helped you solve the mystery!

:) Swordtails are great in a community tank and I keep them with guppies, platies, tetras and other swordtails!

:unsure: I'm not quite sure what kind of swordtail she is, but in know I've seen them before.

You can keep her alone or buy companions for her. They don't have to be together like tetars. I currently have one female swordtail who's by herself and gets along great with the other fish. :thumbs:

:D You can raise swordtail fry with the guppy fry, as long as no one would eat each other. My female swordtail devilvered babies alst week, but sadly I was only able to find one and I know she ate the rest. I'm keeping the baby swordtail (and a coulple more baby swordtails that I got from a pet store) in my fry tank, with baby guppies and mollies. Hope this helps!

Most reactions

Back