Female Bettas At Lfs.

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So i went to buy some cat food for my little one, and snooped around the fish tank section. They had a tank with about 30-50ish female bettas all together very lively healthy and pretty. They have them on sale regular price $2.49each or 3/$5 not bad! i said to myself good deal. Now my question is.. would they be okay in a 10 gallon if i get all 3. My 10 gallon is cycled and houses some guppy fry and 2 Panda Corydora's. I do have a single male betta in my bedroom he's in the Fluval Spec 2gallon setup doing well. I know that Guppies will be a challenge and considering that they are still small in size (less than an inch or so). I am very tempted to buy the betta's because they are so pretty and most of all very healthy looking compared to the other shop near here.

Betta sororities do best in groups of 6 to help disperse aggression while establishing pecking order. As such, getting 6 is most advisable as opposed to 3. However, 10 gallons is a tad small for 6 betta fish.

Okay what if i just get a single female, do you think it will be okay with my current setup?

One should be fine, you may have to watch it with your guppies & fry just in case

They will probably eat the fry right? I was hoping to get rid of the gupps soon anyways. Maybe i should wait until they have grown out more.

If they're small enough, then yes they probably would eat them

Honestly? I Have 3 females in a 10 gallon together. I know in most cases you want more than that, but, my 3 are doing just great. It's been a few months and no problems

ohh i see lol. I'm going to wait a bit more till my fry are grown out to at least 2 inches.

Two of my girls are sisters, and the other one isn't related. It may only work though because I got them all together at 3 months old

I have gotten away with 5 females in a 10 gallon sorority tank for a short time but never saw them last year after year after year the way a single male in a community tank will do. I doubt that a female betta is any way less robust than her male counterpart so I must assume that my sorority had some fatal flaw to it. Mine only ever lasted about 18 months before I started to lose my females.

Most reactions

Back