Feeding Cucumber.

Too Fast

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been told to feed cucumber to my fish. how big do you cut the chunks? I tried dicing a slice into 8 but it just floated and they left it alone.

I cut a thin slice around 1cm and I stick it under the gravel/ornaments. Dicing the cmbr won't do anything

A slice a cm or so thick is what I do; for little fish a normal round slice; for big plecs you can slice it longways.

You need something to hold it down; I use a teaspoon stuck through the middle. Or you can hold it onto the glass with a magnetic algae scraper if you have one of those, or you can buy a 'screwcumber' from ebay; they're not expensive :)

You can feed courgette and sweet potato and other things too; just take it out before it disintegrates; I leave it in overnight and remove what's left in the morning.

Bury it in the gravel, my otos go crazy :) What fish do you have? Wall clips aren't great unless your fish *live* on the walls

2x Bristlenose, 6x Cherry Barb, 7x Blue King Tetra

I chop a piece off about 2-3cm, then cut that in half through the centre. The two pieces then go onto a fork vertically with the flat edge on top, then chuck the fork somewhere on the substrate
good.gif

My Sevs, Geos and BN scoff it all down leaving a little flesh and the skin...

i cut it about 1" long and put a slit in the side and pop a 2p coin in the slit its heavy enought to hold it down and looks tidier than a spoon or fork sticking out of it

Isn't coinage bad to put in a tank? I think I remember it being talked about before now, not certain about it though, and one 2p piece is not a lot of metal...

I might try what you mention but with a big stainless steel washer :)

Now, that's a good idea:) I might try that; I'm fed up of people saying, "why is there a teaspoon in your fishtank?"

Now, that's a good idea:) I might try that; I'm fed up of people saying, "why is there a teaspoon in your fishtank?"

:lol: I might also try that.

Zucchini is appreciated by some fish aswell, just for the record.

James.

Yeah; actually, zucchini (or courgettes ;)) or blanched sweet potato, or even pear or mango, is better than cucumber; there's not much nutrition in a cucumber :)

My cichlids and BN eat atleast the following:

• cucumber
  • courette
  • deshelled peas
  • banana
  • papaya
  • potato (part boiled)
I am waiting for the mrs to start eating a nice big juicy Mango which I'll then nick a piece of...I'd get walloped if I fed it just to the fish
laugh.gif

I figure any fruits found in the tropics will work well, they fall out of trees into the river system where most of the fish eat them in the rainy seasons
good.gif

Try romaine lettuce. Some fish go nuts for the stuff, and it's good for them. You can even use the seaweed wraps for sushi (nori) and it can be found in most supermarkets.

Most reactions

Back