Fantail Mollies

littlemack_j

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I just bought two Mollies today. Our tank has been set up, cycled, and ready for fish for a while now, and finally were the proud parents of a silver female and a black male. They're real beauties, and glow iridescent under the lights. We will be getting more soon, since we have a very large tank.
Anyway.. I was just wondering.. what other fish would live happily and peacefully with Mollies?
I would like some Tetras, and possibly some guppies, also. Do you think they would coexist together well?
ANy help is appreciated.
:D
Thanks!

-lyndsay-

well to answer your question yes guppies and tetras can go with mollies also can swordtails, platties any type of community fish ask you pet store what they have that are community fish also since you sould new to fish i would suggest getting a pleco ( like a sucker fish) to keep alge down and keep the tank cleaner they are absolutly no bother. good luck.

I would disagree on the pleco. Most plecos sold in fish shops - such as the common plec and gibbiceps plec - get much to ig (over a foot) for your average community tank. They also are very messy fish that produce a lot of waste and need extra feeding besides algae. Many also require wood in their diet.

I'd also say that relying on your LFS for advice is a bad idea. Research possible tankmates yourself. Asking here is a good way to start but also look in the fish index, on fishbase.org and do a google search.

When you say you 'cycled' the tank, what exactly do you mean? As you are new here (welcome BTW) there's no way of knowing who's advice it was you followed to 'cycle'. If you just let the tank sit without fish for a while like some fish stores tell you to, the tank is NOT cycled.

What size tank do you have? How many gallons? Also, do you know your pH and have you tested your ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAtes? You can use pH to help narrow down your fish choices (though most fish will adapt to your pH anyway) and you need to know the rest in order to be shure the tank is safe for your finned pets.

To answer the question in a little extra detail, guppies would work but they (as with mollies) are livebearers so may breed and multiply in your tank if the fry have enough places to hide. This can sometimes lead to over-stocking. You can avoid this by sticking to single-sex groups. In your case it's too late with the mollies. That brings me on to the next point about keeping livebearers - they should be kept at a ratio of 2 females for every male. The reason is that in this way the male's attentions (chasing) are devided so that no single female becomes stressed. The more females to every male the better obviously. The same applies to both mollies and guppies as well as wordtails and platies which were mentioned earlier as good tankmates.

As for tetras - most make good tankmates but, as they are schooling fish, should be kept in groups of 6 or more. Some (such as the ever-popular neon) need a mature tank (at least 6 months old) and should not be added to a newly set-up aquarium. Regardless, you should add fish slowly to avoid deadly ammonia spikes. Keep in mind that 'tetra' incoroporates a huge group of fish. Some are more suitable than others - ranging both in size and temperament as well as in requirements and hardiness.

Good luck with your fish :)

What size tank are we talking? As the fish you can get will depend on this. :)

Guppies and Mollies usually will go okay, though there can be some aggression on the Mollies part. It should be okay if you just got female Guppies though, as it seems to be the males they usually pick on. If you want to get Tetras and Guppies, make sure your Tetras aren't going to be nippy. Neons can be nippy, as can Serpaes and a few other kinds. Best to throughly research them before you add them to your tank. And depending on tank size, you might want to get a small school of Cories for the bottom. They will go well with almost any fish, and they are very active and cute. They also need at least 4 of their own kind, as they are schooling fish too.

Best of luck! :thumbs:

Well I disagree on tetras if you want them to have fry. Tetras are really agressive and love to eat anything they can fit in their mouth. I had to seperate all my tetras and barbs to a smaller tank. Since then all my livebearing fish have had alot of fry and the majority of the healthy fry stay away from the bigger fish.

well i would still suggest on getting the plecos b/c if you buy them when they r little they will last for a while and wen the get to big can bring them back to you local fish store (LFS)

Mo_loves_fish said:
well i would still suggest on getting the plecos b/c if you buy them when they r little they will last for a while and wen the get to big can bring them back to you local fish store (LFS)
[snapback]889417[/snapback]​

If it's a smaller tank, you could go with Otos. They are kind of the same, only a lot smaller and not as messy. They also like small schools, though. And some can be sensitive to water quality, but should be okay as long as you keep up on your water changing schedule.

Just a thought. :)

Will some one answer my question? Is a fantail molly the same as a lyre tail molly?

Most reactions

Back