Fantail Guppy Issue

chewit

Reaction score
My fantail guppy lately is like lying on the bottom alot an moves when gets fed but this is unusaul behaviour can anyone help

Just to be sure all is well with your water, you should test it for ammonia and nitrite. Some other info about your tank would be helpful as well, like how often you are doing water changes, temperature, size of tank and how many fish you have and the size of them.

Hi i be honest 17l tank has tht a lil frog an a swordtail
i dont reli change the water that often maybe change a lil every 4-6 months
new filter sponge every 6months

Hi i be honest 17l tank has tht a lil frog an a swordtail
i dont reli change the water that often maybe change a lil every 4-6 months
new filter sponge every 6months

Ok. Well there are a few issues here to be honest.

First off, tank is too small and that is the biggest problem. Second, doing water changes that infrequently is a bad idea. By you not keeping the water clean, are stunting his growth and shortening his life span. It will be a small miracle if he lives to be a year.

Also, changing the sponge out is removing all the beneficial bacteria so each time you do that, you are in essence starting over your tank. Sponges can be rinsed using tank water only and you can rinse them when they start to look really gunky. They can be rinsed and re-used for years and years.

This is what I would do: re-home the fantail and the swordtail. Ideally they should have about a 20 gallon tank as they grow to about 2-3 inches. The only thing a 17l is good for is dwarf shrimp. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but I'm only looking out for the best interest of your fish.

I also want to save you the heartache of fish illness and death.

Good luck :good:

Caprichoso said:
This is what I would do: re-home the goldfish and the swordtail. Goldfish need to be in a tank of 50 gallons at the very, very least considering they grow 5 inches at the very smallest, many of them grow over 10 inches! The swordtail needs at least 20 gallons as they grow to about 3 inches. The only thing a 17l is good for is dwarf shrimp. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to give you a hard time here but I'm only looking out for the best interest of your fish.

I also want to save you the heartache of fish illness and death.

I can only see reference to a guppy and swordtail, not a goldfish...?

You are correct, my bad. Still, the tank is too small for any type of fish.

WOW - you change a LITTLE water every 4 - 6 months? It needs to be changed every week to keep nitrates and other nasties down! It's no wonder the fish is sick. Start doing water changes weekly and then we can go from there... most likely it's a water quality issue.

Have got water checked by local pets at home store
passes fine with flying colours looks like fish is either sick or do they have like known illness

Define flying colours? Did you get the exact readings, or did someone tell you they were 'fine' and you left it at that?

Your tank is too small. You don't change the water often enough. Your fish are getting sick because of these reasons. Simple.

Most reactions

Back