Fancyfish

gem85

Reaction score
hello, i have flicked through some posts but havent found an answer as of yet. i got a fantail ? fish yesterday in a new tank (5.5 gallon) and this is the 1st fancy fish i have got. i have done everything that was meant to, dechlorinate the tank etc etc . i put him in and he went straight to the bottom. 1st i thought the tank was too cold but after almost 24 hrs he is still at the bottom- alive! why could this be?? i put in the right amount of declorinate in but the water does have a tint of blue- could it of been too much?

please help :/

hello, i have flicked through some posts but havent found an answer as of yet. i got a fantail ? fish yesterday in a new tank (5.5 gallon) and this is the 1st fancy fish i have got. i have done everything that was meant to, dechlorinate the tank etc etc . i put him in and he went straight to the bottom. 1st i thought the tank was too cold but after almost 24 hrs he is still at the bottom- alive! why could this be?? i put in the right amount of declorinate in but the water does have a tint of blue- could it of been too much?

please help :/

hi there! i actually don't own any goldfish and i'm no expert on em, but since there have been no other replies i'll try and help. as for the basics - the tank you have is really too small for a goldfish. the rule of thumb is 20g for the first, 10g for each after that. using the dechlorinator is good and i don't 'think' you can add too much. if you followed the instructions i'm sure you're fine with that. but my question is do you have a filter running in the tank and do you know about cycling? is this your first fish ever? or just your first goldfish?

i have had goldfish before, lasted a few yrs so i do roughly know what im doing, but i havent had a fancy fish before and i cant find a post about how to look after them. yes i do have a filter etc. my fish is very small. look at pic..... <p><p>

fish2.jpg

10-02-06_1449.jpg

im confused :-( there is only 1 fish in there at the moment.

The water might be too cold for it, do you have a thermometer. Fancy goldfish shouldnt have really cold water and you should try to get it around the 18c mark.
Also with it just in it might be still trying to settle in and might be scared.
You havent cycled the tank have you? You will have to check the ammonia regularly to keep that under control.

hello, yes the water is at 18C on the nose. no i didnt cycle the water. The fish place give out RO water with is meant to help. i got that water for my gold fish a year back and they were perfect! so i got more when i got the fish. i think it might just be settling. he is nervous when i go near the tank. i will see how he is over the wkend.

i have had goldfish before, lasted a few yrs so i do roughly know what im doing, but i havent had a fancy fish before and i cant find a post about how to look after them. yes i do have a filter etc. my fish is very small. look at pic..... <p><p>

fish2.jpg

10-02-06_1449.jpg

im confused :-( there is only 1 fish in there at the moment.

He looks ok put a mirror next to the tank. He might be lonely and this usually starts them swimming about. If it works just leave it there until he is happier!

:D I have a couple of fancy fish and they hated the filters so I took them out and they are so happy without any filter.I just make sure I vac out the muck on a regular basis.Hope that helps

Whats the temp in the tank and did you accliamtise the fish to the tank before adding it, and if so, how did you go about it and for how long?

He lovelly :D

If you add some tall plants ( silk are the best if your going for fake ones) he should feel a bit more relaxed, since he can hide behind them and sleep under them :D .
The tank will be fine for him for a while, although it'll be worthwhile investing in a larger filter (I have 3 filters running on my gf tank, which individuall "should" be able to cope but gf are big poopers, lol)

I find sinking pellets are much better for these guys, since they don't have to gulp at the surface too much whilst feeding...............seems to reduce the chances of swimbladder problems ;)

HTH :)

Most reactions

Back