False Ammonia Test Results?

BigJim

Reaction score
Tomorrow will be five weeks since I started my fish-in cycle with 5 danios. I didn't know any better or I would have done a fishless cycle. I was pretty sure I was cycled about 10 days ago. Ammonia spiked and went down, Nitrite spiked and went down to zero and nitrates registered low levels. I have been going a little crazy because I continue to get very low ammonia readings (less than .25 ppm) while everything else looks great. I did no water changes for 7 days and the readings were the same. I did a 10% water change a few days ago and the results are the same. I heard Seachem Prime can cause false readings for ammonia on the API Test Kit so is that the likely culprit? The fish are thriving so I think my water is good, but I hate to add new fish when I’m getting strange water test results.

also very intrested in this issue as i have similar readings since using seachem prime :/ and i basically have 2 filters and 5 fish in a 90l tank so my waste would cause next to no ammonia for the filters.....

sorry to hijack bigjim :p hope some1 can clear this up :good:

Tomorrow will be five weeks since I started my fish-in cycle with 5 danios. I didn't know any better or I would have done a fishless cycle. I was pretty sure I was cycled about 10 days ago. Ammonia spiked and went down, Nitrite spiked and went down to zero and nitrates registered low levels. I have been going a little crazy because I continue to get very low ammonia readings (less than .25 ppm) while everything else looks great. I did no water changes for 7 days and the readings were the same. I did a 10% water change a few days ago and the results are the same. I heard Seachem Prime can cause false readings for ammonia on the API Test Kit so is that the likely culprit? The fish are thriving so I think my water is good, but I hate to add new fish when I’m getting strange water test results.
Is the ammonia test results yellow or is there a very slight tint of green?
suggestion:
I find that if you do the test leave it 5mins and are still unsure of the results take the lid off the test tube, place a white sheet of paper 1cm away from the bottom of the tube and then look down it. I find doing this paints a different picture.

Skins.

[
suggestion:
I find that if you do the test leave it 5mins and are still unsure of the results take the lid off the test tube, place a white sheet of paper 1cm away from the bottom of the tube and then look down it. I find doing this paints a different picture.

Skins.

awesome hint :) shall do this in future cause i struggle with the colours lol

suggestion:

Skins.

There is a very slight greenish tint that seems to fall right in between the 0 ppm and .25 ppm color code. I'll try you advice. Thanks for the help.

also very intrested in this issue as i have similar readings since using seachem prime :/ and i basically have 2 filters and 5 fish in a 90l tank so my waste would cause next to no ammonia for the filters.....

sorry to hijack bigjim :p hope some1 can clear this up :good:

No problem! Hijacking is only bad if you completely change the topic.

Are you cleaning (and drying) the test tubes thoroughly (just a thought?)

I was about to say the same thing. The API ammonia tests seem very sensitive(good thing imo) but it does mean if you don't clean the test tubes well enough you can get a false positive. Test your tap water if you get a positive from that and haven't in the past you need to clean your test tubes and dropper.

I was about to say the same thing. The API ammonia tests seem very sensitive(good thing imo) but it does mean if you don't clean the test tubes well enough you can get a false positive. Test your tap water if you get a positive from that and haven't in the past you need to clean your test tubes and dropper.

That may be it. I do rinse them thoroughly but they often still have a few small drops of tap water in them when I use them again. If I have ammonia in my tap water, that could be my problem. I will check that tonight. Thanks!

That may be it. I do rinse them thoroughly but they often still have a few small drops of tap water in them when I use them again. If I have ammonia in my tap water, that could be my problem. I will check that tonight. Thanks!

Years ago when cycling a small tank for a Betta it took me forever (was cycling for so long I had the urge to wear a yellow jersey! ) then it was suggested to me about drying the test tube......hey presto next test was perfect.....week later I had fish :D Hope the same for you :hey:

Most reactions

Back