Fair Prices? You Tell Me!

LiveYourLife

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As many of you know I am starting up my own Pet Shop, im not quite ready to open up as yet but have started selling fish, as I have the licence to do so. The tanks are in my house at the moment so Im quite limited as to which fish I can take in and sell.. So far I have the following & have listed the prices I would like for the fish. Comments Are Welcome :)
MODS- Im not selling these fish on this forum yet, so please dont close this thread!!

Peppered Corydora £1.40
Albino Corydora £1.40
Bronze Corydora £1.40
Jumbo Peppered Corydora £4.00
Panda Corydora £2.50
Shwartzi Corydora £3.30
Arcuatus(Skunk) Corydora £3.30
Julii Corydora £3.30
Miguelito Corydora £3.50

Tiger Barbs £1.00
Cherry Barbs £0.60

Kuhli Loach £1.40

Neon Tetra Small £0.50
Neon Tetra Medium £0.70
Neon Tetra Large £1.30
Rummy Nose Tetra £1.60
Cardinal Tetra Large £1.50

You couldn't possibly take a look at my thread abit done the page about starting my own LFS if it isn't to much trouble??

The prices are much cheaper than my LFS and would feel better getting from someone that knows how to handle fish better, good prices and good idea

Not sure what the conversion over to American dollars is, but even if I double it, those prices seem alomst a little to good. You might find it a little more expensive to run things once you have a brick and mortar store up and running and find that you need to charge more. Look into potential expenses closely as you don't want to get a slap in the face and be forced to jump all your prices up a once - your customers will not be happy when the prices increase as they will come to expect the low prices from you (and in many feel that those prices are obligated to them).

Don't forget, even in the best fish store, there WILL be some casualties. Could be a shipment of poor stock, mistake by an employee etc. Heck, the stories I've heard from a local FLFS in Arlington, Tx have been scary. Few examples...a $1500 very rare puffer fish being put in with a EXTREMELY aggressive $500 puffer and the employees showing up to a blood bath in the morning. A miscalculation in cleaning also lead to the owners fully grown out African cichlids being killed over night. All quick and simple mistakes of employees...

Prices are very reasonable compared to my LFS.Good luck with your venture,hope it all works out for you :good:

I'm not sure about selling on this site though.You might need to check the Classified rules.

As i say ,hope it works out for you.

Those prices seem to be very fair in comparison to other lfs prices in Aberdeen.
Good luck with the new venture,you will have to let us know where your shop is going to be.

Not sure what the conversion over to American dollars is, but even if I double it, those prices seem alomst a little to good. You might find it a little more expensive to run things once you have a brick and mortar store up and running and find that you need to charge more. Look into potential expenses closely as you don't want to get a slap in the face and be forced to jump all your prices up a once - your customers will not be happy when the prices increase as they will come to expect the low prices from you (and in many feel that those prices are obligated to them).

Don't forget, even in the best fish store, there WILL be some casualties. Could be a shipment of poor stock, mistake by an employee etc. Heck, the stories I've heard from a local FLFS in Arlington, Tx have been scary. Few examples...a $1500 very rare puffer fish being put in with a EXTREMELY aggressive $500 puffer and the employees showing up to a blood bath in the morning. A miscalculation in cleaning also lead to the owners fully grown out African cichlids being killed over night. All quick and simple mistakes of employees...

Will try and answer your queries in order!! Its not going to cost me an arm and a leg to rent the shop as I live in a converted steading on my uncles farm, and he said I can easily covert on of the other steadings into a pet shop if I want too as theyre not being used for much just now and are going to a bit of a waste. The steadings arent old, crumbling ones, theyve all been recently renovated with full health and saftey checks etc.
I have thouroughly went through the pro's,con's,expenses,risks etc of it all..and currently still am hence the reason the shop is not up and running as of yet.
Im not one of those people who look only at the profit you can make from a business like this, I know from experience a lot of people cannot start nor continue this hobby due to constant rises in prices,whether it be the fish,equipment, whatever. I love doing this as a hobby, obviously I would have to make some amount of profit to help with the running costs etc which is why they arent cheap cheap!
I completely understand what you mean by the casualties, the only staff I would be employing would be family members who I know and trust, and that are as mad about this hobby as I am or an experienced fish breeder/keeper who has given up doing that full time but would still like to continue working in the hobby. Already I have been contacted regarding jobs!!
Hope That Made Things Clearer :)

Prices are very reasonable compared to my LFS.Good luck with your venture,hope it all works out for you :good:

I'm not sure about selling on this site though.You might need to check the Classified rules.

As i say ,hope it works out for you.

Just checked the Classified Rules, I cannot sell them as it may be classed as comercial, I could contact the site owner William, So i may do that :)
Bring fellow TFF Members high quality but cheap prices :)

Most reactions

Back