"fainting Guppy"

Most fish seem to love peas.
Are you going to order the med.

Yeah definately, sorry didnt mean to give you the impression that I wasnt going to bother, was going to try my LFS tomorrow thought it might be quicker than ordering it online

i had an instance of this once....one guppy died and i saw this one falling toward the bottom then springing back to life every now and then. he recovered...i didnt offer any meds or anything, even put him in the cichlid tank to euthinize him but he managed to survive that! hes residing peacefuly in a 20 gallon easy-going community tank

Hi Ficious, how random glad your fishy is ok, hopefully fire will be too.

Wilder, I took my camera to my LFS and he said if is defo a worm of some sort and has given me some Sterazin, so I am gonna treat him with that.

But when I got back home I noticed that one of my other new guppies has died, I didnt even know that he was poorly :(.

I dont know what happened to him is defo ok last night cause I was taking photos of him, I am sure he was alive when i put the peas in but I couldnt swear to it. Could he really have gone down hill in an hour.

I rang the LFS I bought him from and they said my water stats were fine but would like a water sample anyway. But to treat the fish I need to take the carbon pads out of the filter, is this going to affect the readings, or is it best to take a sample before I remove the pads, but this will obviously mean that the water will be a day old.

I still cant believe one of my new fish have died, hope the others are gonna be ok.... I am worried about all of them now :(

That waterlife med no good on internal parasites. I used it the past and it did nothing.
I would order the other med online.
How old was the other guppy that died.
Any symtoms to go on.

That waterlife med no good on internal parasites. I used it the past and it did nothing.
Any symtoms to go on.

Oh bummer about the waterlife med. Should I still continue with the treatment, it said to give 5 doses, one every other day.

I have got no idea how old the guppy was I bought him the same day as Fire.

Absolutely no symptoms at all. I took some pics of him yesterday, will add them in a bit.

I tested my water again and the stats are exactly the same as they were earlier in the week, which to be honest is what they say everytime I do a water test.

But now I am worried about "Bumble" one of my platies. She has been hovering at the top of the tank for 2 hours. She is in the process of having a green poo, but I guess that could be the peas coming out i cant work out whether is is bloated for pregnant, but according to my records she isnt due for another couple of weeks (I have put a post about Bumble in the discusssions forum too)

All of a sudden everything appears to be going wrong, well since I bought the guppies on Saturday really. Could they have bought some nasty disease in with them.

Any symtoms to go on.

Oh bummer about the waterlife med. Should I still continue with the treatment, it said to give 5 doses, one every other day.

Absolutely no symptoms at all. I took some pics of him yesterday, will add them in a bit.

I tested my water again and the stats are exactly the same as they were earlier in the week, which to be honest is what they say everytime I do a water test.

But now I am worried about "Bumble" one of my platies. She has been hovering at the top of the tank for 2 hours. She is in the process of having a green poo, but I guess that could be the peas coming out i cant work out whether is is bloated for pregnant, but according to my records she isnt due for another couple of weeks (I have put a post about Bumble in the discusssions forum too)

All of a sudden everything appears to be going wrong, well since I bought the guppies on Saturday really. Could they have bought some nasty disease in with them.

Any symtoms to go on.

Attachments

• bumble.jpg
    bumble.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 63
  • blue_yellow_guppy.jpg
    blue_yellow_guppy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 69
Thanks Wilder

His tail appears to have "shrunk" now is that because the filter/water flow isnt very powerful, I am sure I have read somewhere that guppies like/need a powerful flow to keep their tails fluffed up. Do you know anything about that.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but you are a font of knowledge :)

No guppys don't need powerful filters. It will rip there fins. They don't like strong currents.
Guppys need good water quality as bad water quality can damage there blood vessels in there fins.

I had to ask my hubby to euthanize Fire. His back was arched, his tail was almost black and not moving; it was horrible to watch :(

And as if that wasnt bad enough, he has just removed a dead platy from my main tank :(

Everything was fine til I bought my last lot of guppies. The LFS where I bought the guppies checked my water sample yesterday (sat) and they agreed that there was nothing wrong with it, which is a sort of relief. What wasnt a relief was that while at the LFS I was checking their fish while I was waiting for them to test my water and there were 4 tanks with dead or dying fish in them. One of the tanks was where 2 of my guppies came from, one of which died on Friday, hardly encouraging is it. Needless to say I am never buying fish from them again.

What do I do about the 5 gallon. What is the best thing to sterlise it with.

Keep an eye on your fish for other symtoms.
I would sterlise eveything in the 5 gal hospital tank.
Bleach the tank rinse well and let dry out for a day.
Just going to see if black fins are a tb symtom.
Black fins not tb, it black spots on the body, or black colouration on the body, or the iris will look black.

Also the lfs shouldn't be selling fish out of sick tanks.

That is why I am finding it so hard, none of the fish have been displaying any odd symptoms. They all look exactly the same and believe me i have spent a lot of time staring at them these last few days. What should i look out for.

Is there a distinct visible difference between parasite poo and constipation poo. I have looked at pictures and descriptions on various sites but they aren't conclusive enough for me. Fire's poo didnt have any red bits in it at all.

Is there anything that may be in the water that I should look out for. We have 2/3 random snails that I think must have come with the plants we bought.

Once the tank has been bleached and dried do i refill it and let it run empty for a couple of weeks, just in case I need to use it again. Should I fill it with water from my main tank or start from scratch.

Also just thought I would mention this in case it is relevant, after showing LFS1 a picture of my fish poo he recommended the meds and told me to remove the carbon filter (from fluval U3), which I did. Could its removal have affected the fish in any way and should I still do water changes while treating the fish bearing in mind that the treatment takes 10 days. I know that you think it may not work but as I had already started didnt like to stop.

No he showed no symptoms of tb and having look closer at the photos I took, his redness had just become a darker red.

Is with worth mentioning to LFS2 that one of my platies has died, I'd had him for 7 weeks with no apparent problems (didnt buy it from them though, he came from LFS3) When I mentioned that a guppy had died to LFS2, that I had only bought a week earlier, he didnt seem concerned, just said that guppies are really weak fish and their ammune system isnt very good and to feed them frozen brine shrimp to boost their immune system cause bloodworm can be a bit rich.

When we bought the guppies we did notice that there was a tank with platies in and one of them had died. We told a member of staff expecting them to retrieve it straight away but they didnt. That should have been a warning to us really but we just thought its only 1 fish and they probably have 1000's.

Sorry for waffling on but my brain is buzzing.

Sometimes you can't see the worms that why you have to know what to look for.
Signs of internal parasites are.
Long stringy white poo or clear mucas poo.
Enlarged anus to red inflamed anus.
Being skinny or bloated.
Sunken in belly.
Bent spine sometimes.
Fish will sometimes swim on there sides.
Sometimes fish will spit there food out.

The waterlife med no good for internal parasites i've used it and it didn't do a thing. On the label it says it only controls them, that dosn't sound like it gets rid of them to me.

Just fill the tank with water from the main tank. Then top up with fresh declorinated water.
You can fill the tank when you need it.

Removing carbon from the filter wouldn't of done anything.
Carbon only works for 2 to 6 days anyway. Complete waste of money to run it all the time.

Garlic juice boost a fish immune system.

Ok thanks Wilder, none of them are showing any of the above mentioned symptoms at the moment.

Will try the garlic juice too.

Most reactions

Back