Extra Filtration Fishless Cycle

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is there any down side to adding an extra filter to a fishless cycle that is almost complete ?

Also currently my tank is setup

Outlet -> Inlet

Should i add extra filter in the same fashion or have one outlet and one inlet on each side.

means the outlet for my canister is on the left, spraying right and my inlet is on the right. I'm not sure if i should match this and have 2 outlets on the left and 2 inlets on the right or if i should have 1 outlet and 1 inlet on both sides with water basically being sprayed towards middle. In an ideal world i think i would have both inlets on right and have 1 outlet on left and 1 outlet in middle both sprayin in same direction. But this isn't viable due to the supports on my tank.

Is there any down side to adding an extra filter to a fishless cycle that is almost complete ?

Also currently my tank is setup

Outlet -> Inlet

Should i add extra filter in the same fashion or have one outlet and one inlet on each side.
I can't see why it would do any harm, in fact having two filters would increase oxygen levels.

why not put the outlet of the old filer next to the inlet of the new filer & vice-versa? That way it may help seed it?

Depends on the intent. If the second filter will stay, then it doesn't matter. If the second is there to get seeded and then be removed then you have to consider that bacterial colonies will balance themselves across all the total media. For instance, if you have two filters will eventually each carry half of the needed bacteria (but it will take a very long time for this balance to be reached.) With three filters they will each eventually carry a third.

~~waterdrop~~

I have my spraybar and inlet set on the same side of the tank, I think that gives better circulation. When I look into my tank I can see any bubbles etc going from left to right at the surface and the filaments of some moss near the bottom of the tank are leaning from right to left

Second filter is there to stay. It's annoying as the holes for the filter tubes are about 8" from the side so the very outsides of the tank are filter dead zones. But there's not much i can do about this without getting the glass drilled somehow. Have put 1 inlet and outlet on each side for the time being, creates a sort of mid tank vortex but seems ok.

Most reactions

Back