External Location

Yanks15

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been interested in swapping over my HOB's to an external on my 55gal tank. My only issue is the location of the filter. The stand the aquarium is sitting on does not have doors for storage, it has basket slots. It was sold as a proper stand and was given as a gift from the wife so it's not going anywhere. Question....... can the filter be effectively positioned to the side of the tank and have both inlet and output on the same short wall of the tank? I have 2 wave makers that I could position in the tank to improve flow around the tank and back to the inlet. Is this OK for proper filtration? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

extend one of the hoses to the other end of the tank

My understanding was always that the hoses should be relatively the same length. Is that not true? Will it have any effect on the performance of the filter?

Thanks,
Steve

I think you'll be fine having both pipes at one end. Point the outlet along the back wall, and with a powerhead or two as well, I'm sure it'll filter your tank, no problem.

I think that's probably a better way than having a long pipe.

I was thinking the same with a wave maker under the output and another on the opposite end pointing toward the front wall to circulate back to the inlet. made sense to me I guess.

Thanks,
Steve

Beyond that little issue, I have another query...... need honest opinions about 2 filters. I'm considering both the Marineland(Tetra-Tec) C360 and the Fluval 406. Both seem to be able to cover my needs as far as filtration rate but not quite sure about other things.... like ability to transfer media from existing filters to them, fail rate(leaks), noise, longevity, effectiveness. Any input would be great. I am siding more toward the Marineland but would hate to make a mistake if the Fluval is indeed a better fit. On a side note, after doing some you-tube searching, I found it very interesting that Tetra-Tec has the only company produced video that tells the user to rinse the media in USED tank water! All others I found said to rinse everything in tap water and/or replace pieces!!

Thanks,
Steve

Beyond that little issue, I have another query...... need honest opinions about 2 filters. I'm considering both the Marineland(Tetra-Tec) C360 and the Fluval 406. Both seem to be able to cover my needs as far as filtration rate but not quite sure about other things.... like ability to transfer media from existing filters to them, fail rate(leaks), noise, longevity, effectiveness. Any input would be great. I am siding more toward the Marineland but would hate to make a mistake if the Fluval is indeed a better fit. On a side note, after doing some you-tube searching, I found it very interesting that Tetra-Tec has the only company produced video that tells the user to rinse the media in USED tank water! All others I found said to rinse everything in tap water and/or replace pieces!!

Thanks,
Steve

aquaclear 70 or if you want overkill go with the 110

cheaper, no messy hoses, more effective, easier to maintain, more compact, then canister type filters

I currently have 2-AC 50's and a Fluval C3 on the tank. I'm looking for something to consolidate all into one and it seems a canister is the way to go. I'm not too crazy about the size of the 110. I do love the easiness of cleaning the AC's but not so much the frequency they need it. Having the ability to take all that media and put it into one place and clean up the inside of the tank is what's driving me. I plan on using for other smaller tanks so it's a good time to do it.

Thanks,
Steve

I currently have 2-AC 50's and a Fluval C3 on the tank. I'm looking for something to consolidate all into one and it seems a canister is the way to go. I'm not too crazy about the size of the 110. I do love the easiness of cleaning the AC's but not so much the frequency they need it. Having the ability to take all that media and put it into one place and clean up the inside of the tank is what's driving me. I plan on using for other smaller tanks so it's a good time to do it.

Thanks,
Steve

the two AC-50s by themselves should be way more than enough for 55gal, personally i would never recommend a canister filter on any tank under 100 gallons, no need for it, but your decision

if somebody wanted to go a really cheap route with a 55gal, they could even do ONE AC-50 and a couple of internal sponge filters

i like the AC design because most of the time you can just take the top off and remove the media basket, rinse it out and your done....you dont even need to stop/unplug the filter, although every once in awhile a more thorough cleaning is needed

Exactly why I like these filters. 2 reasons for so many filters........1- I'm pretty over-stocked at the moment with Mbuna. That will change slightly when I cull out get a better m-f ratio. 2- I'm seeding them for possible transfer to other tanks so killing 2 birds....... you get the picture.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm running an FX5 on the side of the tank as well as a pro 2026 and a 2217 that I'm seeding for a friend. My aquarium is 55 gallons. Canisters are the way to go as long as they are set up correctly. As for the aquaclear 50, I have one on my girlfriend's 10 gallon and it is just perfect for that size.

Once you get your canister, set up the output/spray bar closest to the filter and the hose that drains the aquarium can be placed further on the other side of the tank

Yetti- you are in the camp that says that the hoses CAN be different lengths? I keep getting conflicting advice and I'm tending to side with the equal length thinking. Makes more sense to me I guess.

As for you seeding your friends filters, why not just seed their media in your FX5? That thing is huge!

Thanks,
Steve

Keeping hoses to the shortest length is the best idea. Ideally, they would be equal in lengths if the situation permitted it. The output hose being the shortest is your second best option if you cannot maintain equal minimal hose lengths.

My friend's 2217 came with a lot of media. I prefer to have my biomax instead of the eheim pebbles.

I watched clip on Youtube not long ago, the guy seemed very knowledgeable in what he was doing but one thing he did say was if you put the inlet very close to the outlet, basically you are only filtering a small amount of water.
He was saying the water coming in would be sucked out again very quickly so it needs to circulate, so have the pipes far apart and if possible have the outlet sending the water in a circular motion so it goes round the tank before it gets to the inlet again.

Most reactions

Back