Excitited And Confused...

poopsydrew

"CodeMonkey"
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am pretty new to the hobby, but dont worry ive done my research and currently have a 10 gal tank. I just got a call from my mom and one of her friends is giving me her 50 gallon tank with stand, pretty sweet huh! Its going to be a freshwater tank but when i start to think about what i should add my head spins? I dont want to add the typical "beginner fish" like danios or tetras or minnows etc. Im thinking some glass catfishes for sure, but i would appreciate some suggestions on some not so "basic" fish for my soon to be 50 gallon. (I want to be able to keep it peaceful and more than just one or two species) THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS! I CANT WAINT! :hyper:

Forget the glass catfish - have a brackish Puffer tank! Tell me you don't find these guys cute! (that's a green-spotted puffer by the way!).

It's different to your basic community tank, it's more challenging in that it's no longer freshwater and it's so fun to keep puffers! It's defiantley the next stage up and the puffers would love to be in a 50 gallon!

Forget the glass catfish - have a brackish Puffer tank! Tell me you don't find these guys cute! (that's a green-spotted puffer by the way!).

It's different to your basic community tank, it's more challenging in that it's no longer freshwater and it's so fun to keep puffers! It's defiantley the next stage up and the puffers would love to be in a 50 gallon!
wow!! those things are awesome.. so can you give me a little more info...How many would i need? if i got them would i still be able to add other fish? do they need salt? etc? thanks for the suggestion but anymore advice/info on these guys would be great!! Thank you :D

wow!! those things are awesome.. so can you give me a little more info...How many would i need? if i got them would i still be able to add other fish? do they need salt? etc? thanks for the suggestion but anymore advice/info on these guys would be great!! Thank you :D
oops duh.. you said brackish so they obviously require a little salt, but this is something i definatley want to pursue and feel i can handle, so yea like before any advive on care and other fish compatible with them would be great! thanks again!

Righto. Green spotted Puffers.
Their gonna get to about 16cm and as forementioned are brackish water fish. Generally, they aren't community and despite some different information on the web, I wouldn't keep them in a tank with other fish (as rhey get older they become quite aggressive). In a 50 gallon at full brackish conditions you could easily keep 5-7 providing you have plenty of hiding places such as bogwood, rocks etc.
They are fasinating little guys providing you give them the right salt conditions. If you are looking at having more than one speicies in a tank then I would look at a different fish.. most puffers aren't community.

Here's some info on turning your tank brackish

Righto. Green spotted Puffers.
Their gonna get to about 16cm and as forementioned are brackish water fish. Generally, they aren't community and despite some different information on the web, I wouldn't keep them in a tank with other fish (as rhey get older they become quite aggressive). In a 50 gallon at full brackish conditions you could easily keep 5-7 providing you have plenty of hiding places such as bogwood, rocks etc.
They are fasinating little guys providing you give them the right salt conditions. If you are looking at having more than one speicies in a tank then I would look at a different fish.. most puffers aren't community.

Here's some info on turning your tank brackish
Thanks timmystood,
you have been very helpful, i definatley wont rule them out, and i definatley am probably going to make my tank brakish/salt water aquarium. i was really looking for more of a community tank however. if your not annoyed by my sensless questions do you have any reccomnedations for good brackish community fish (i love the cute ones)! thanks!

Things like Mono's and Scat's make a good brackish community tank. To be honest, my expertise is on Puffers so my knowledge of brackish community isn't as good as some other members, The best thing to do would be to post in the brackish section of this forum asking for recommendations for a 50 gallon brackish community tank.. i'll head over and back you up! That way, members like nmonks and CFC (who really have plenty of brackish experiece) can help you aswell.

Things like Mono's and Scat's make a good brackish community tank. To be honest, my expertise is on Puffers so my knowledge of brackish community isn't as good as some other members, The best thing to do would be to post in the brackish section of this forum asking for recommendations for a 50 gallon brackish community tank.. i'll head over and back you up! That way, members like nmonks and CFC (who really have plenty of brackish experiece) can help you aswell.
Awesome just put a post in the brackish forum...thanks for backing me up.. your the best!!!

I just got a call from my mom and one of her friends is giving me her 50 gallon tank with stand, pretty sweet huh!...

There it is... it has started for you already....

That's how it starts... 1 tank , 2 tanks, etc.

That's how it was for me.. now i have 5 tanks. Wait till your mom gets the electric bill. :lol:

J/K. Good Luck hope you end up with a great tank.

You could go with Gouramis those are pretty colors often!

I just got a call from my mom and one of her friends is giving me her 50 gallon tank with stand, pretty sweet huh!...

There it is... it has started for you already....

That's how it starts... 1 tank , 2 tanks, etc.

That's how it was for me.. now i have 5 tanks. Wait till your mom gets the electric bill. :lol:

J/K. Good Luck hope you end up with a great tank.
i know i was hooked after my first tank and this will be my third....and i think u mean wait till i get the electrice bill (im in college so i am already broke as it is) lol

Here's my suggestion if you want to do a freshwater community with those glass catfish...

6+ glass catfish
6+ boesmani rainbowfish
pair of german blue ram cichlids
butterfly fish
bristlenose pleco
moolight gourami

Here's my suggestion if you want to do a freshwater community with those glass catfish...

6+ glass catfish
6+ boesmani rainbowfish
butterfly fish
bristlenose pleco
moolight gourami
Thats exactly what i was looking for a nice combo of cool peacful fish! Thanks so much wendywc! I am definatley going to get most if not all of those you named after doing my own research (i tend to make a lot of dum beginner mistakes!) oh well, if you or anyone else has any other suggestions by all means please do... thanks! :good:

6+ glass catfish
6+ boesmani rainbowfish
butterfly fish
bristlenose pleco
moolight gourami
Thats exactly what i was looking for a nice combo of cool peacful fish! Thanks so much wendywc! I am definatley going to get most if not all of those you named after doing my own research (i tend to make a lot of dum beginner mistakes!) oh well, if you or anyone else has any other suggestions by all means please do... thanks! :good:
what if i did this instead
6+ glass catfish
6+ boesmani rainbowfish
1 Bala shark
butterfly fish
bristlenose pleco
moolight gourami
would the bala shark be compatible with everything on the list, from what i have read they seem to be peaceful as long as given a large tank thats covered. any comments or suggestions?

Personally, I would be afraid of one eating up my other fish. I haven't own any bala sharks, but I've seen some pretty big ones at 10". They're peaceful, but even peaceful fish will eat whatever will fit into their mouth. Plus I think they are supposed to be kept in groups.

Well, I just checked the fish index on here and they get even bigger than I thought... http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=123786

poopsydrew, please check the fish index here, http://www.fishforums.net/Fish-Species-Index-f36.html It's the main reason why I became a member of this forum; it's filled with great info.

Personally, I would be afraid of one eating up my other fish. I haven't own any bala sharks, but I've seen some pretty big ones at 10". They're peaceful, but even peaceful fish will eat whatever will fit into their mouth. Plus I think they are supposed to be kept in groups.

Well, I just checked the fish index on here and they get even bigger than I thought... http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=123786

poopsydrew, please check the fish index here, http://www.fishforums.net/Fish-Species-Index-f36.html It's the main reason why I became a member of this forum; it's filled with great info.
ok thanks for the advice and the link sorry to bother you with so many questions.

Most reactions

Back