Euthanasia Of Freshwater Fish

Hi to all

I have just read through the thread, and have found it fascinating.

I have always understood that being able to feel pain was to enable self preservation.

Mammals perceive pain in a very recognisable and effective way. (to us anyway) Whilst I cannot compare how a fish perceives irritation or potential danger to itself, I do think that the facility is there. why shy away from attack? why give in to a victor? I understand that behaviour can be purely instinctual, like a cockroach running away from the light, but fish live in complex social arrangements, they need to be able to survive, and they have a nervous system that enables this.

As mammals, we cannot feel or perceive "life" as a fish, this does not mean that we should apply our own parameters, in order to justify our treatment of them.

Just my thoughts,

C

Hi to all

I have always understood that being able to feel pain was to enable self preservation.

Mammals perceive pain in a very recognisable and effective way. (to us anyway) Whilst I cannot compare how a fish perceives irritation or potential danger to itself, I do think that the facility is there. why shy away from attack? why give in to a victor? I understand that behaviour can be purely instinctual, like a cockroach running away from the light, but fish live in complex social arrangements, they need to be able to survive, and they have a nervous system that enables this.

As mammals, we cannot feel or perceive "life" as a fish, this does not mean that we should apply our own parameters, in order to justify our treatment of them.

Just my thoughts,

C

Ooops, just realised how old this post is. Not expecting any reply's (damn)

Yeah, its hardly natural enclosing a fish in a small aquarium with a larger predator. It could be done naturally, but would require a little effort to plan, would depend entirely on the setup. That's more a debate on feeder fish.

Aside from that, most of the time, fish that needed to be euthanised wouldn't be healthy...why risk the life of a bigger fish by feeding it an unhealthy feeder?

Hi to all

And there you are slightly wrong. Nociception (the ability to recognise that damage is occurring to the organism) is about self preservation at that point in time. Pain is the emotional response to such damage.

Most reactions

Back