Energy Efficient Fishkeeping

Thanks for the info/ replies so far. Your thoughts are clarifying mine :)

I have 4 tanks in 3 rooms. Heating the house is not an option - we wouldn't benefit as we are out all day, and asleep under duvets when the temperature is coldest. So I will insulate at least the back of the tanks and trial turning a tank heater off in summer (I'm a bit nervous about temperatures dipping in a cool summer night though! As the heater is only "on-on" when needed I don't know if it's worth it).

Lights are mostly LED so that is good. I also have a planted bowl that I might move near a window so I don't need to use the lights on that.

I don't know if some filters are more energy efficient than others? But they are necessary so no avoiding them.

I don't routinely use other 'plug ins' like CO2, UV, airstones, skimmers, wave makers, pumps, powerheads etc. so I need to stick with that if possible.
Other options are to move fish out of a (not) breeding tank into one of the communities to have one less light/ filter/ heater running.

I know lol. We use the term air conditioning to mean cooling, maybe @Sgooosh uses it to refer to regulation of a constant temperature??
I don't understand how air conditioning could help with energy efficiency as the UK is not a hot country, also it runs on electricity!
i meant conditioning the air in general as in heating too :)
im just saying that if your house temperature is colder than your tank temperature it is fighting against the heater

i meant conditioning the air in general as in heating too :)
im just saying that if your house temperature is colder than your tank temperature it is fighting against the heater
Ah, thought so, we tend to just have heating in our homes, maybe cooling aircon in some buildings (computer based offices for example) and cars but there's not much need for it here.
I know the heater's are doing their job fine, I'm just looking for ways to mitigate the soaring bills when the energy price cap is raised.
Basically I'll reduce the heating and lighting a bit and insulate a bit. And go from 4 tanks to 3. Every little helps! :)

Most reactions

Back