Empty Tank Reuse After Disease

swrzzzz

Reaction score
Hi

Our Betta was in a tank by himself and he died yesterday. We think he may have had dropsy as he swelled up horribly but he did not respond to myxazin recommended by our LFS.

We would like to replace him but I am a bit concerned that there may be an infection in the tank now?

Should I empty and disinfect it? If so what should I use?

Or should I get another fish before the good bacteria die off but dose with the myxazin?

Thanks as always for your advice

Steve

If it was dropsy then you need not worry about disinfecting the tank as it is not thought to be contagious.

However, to be on the very safe side you may want to clean it with hot water and a very small dosage of bleach (1:25 bleach:water?)

As for the bacteria it's your call, the quicker you do the whole cleaning and replacing fish, the less bacteria will have died off. Just be sure the keep the sponges wet.

Hope I was of help.

James :good:

If it was dropsy then you need not worry about disinfecting the tank as it is not thought to be contagious.

However, to be on the very safe side you may want to clean it with hot water and a very small dosage of bleach (1:25 bleach:water?)

As for the bacteria it's your call, the quicker you do the whole cleaning and replacing fish, the less bacteria will have died off. Just be sure the keep the sponges wet.

Hope I was of help.

James :good:

Hi

Thanks I should have mentioned it has an undergravel filter so its tricky to keep the media, so if I clean it and want to keep the bacteria I will need to keep the gravel unwashed which I guess is where the infection will be if anywhere.

On balance I think its probably best to quickly get a new fish in the nicely cycled tank if it's not considered contagious but I would be interested in any thoughts anyone else may have.

Thanks

Steve

If you needed to you could keep your filter ticking over with a few drops of household ammonia, just like you would if cycling the tank. you will have a problem if it wasn`t dropsy but an infectious disease

Most reactions

Back