Electric Blue Acara with Ich?

The June FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 55 gallon community tank, and I am afraid my Electric Blue Acara may have Ich. I read through "What to do if your fish gets sick" sticky thread, and am about to go do a big water change, but I tested the water a moment ago, Ph is 7.5, Ammonia is 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm (I used an API Freshwater Master Test Kit, if that matters). The tank is running with 2 heaters set to keep the tank at a regular 79 degrees, it has a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 350 as well as a 200. The filter media is just the little filter pads the filters came with (I believe they have activated carbon in them). The tank has a sand substrate, 3 fake plants, 2 small rocks, and 2 Anubias that I am letting float. The tank is home to 1 Electric Blue Acara, 12 Bloodfin Tetra, 1 BN Pleco, 4 Neon Tetra, 1 Olive Nerite Snail, 6 Pygmy Cory, and 3 Pygmy Cory Hastatus. I use Seachem Prime at every water change. My Acara has small, white dots on her forehead and fins, they look like small grains of salt or sand. She rubs herself on the substrate every once in a while, then hides behind the plants, and just sits there for a bit, then swims around and is active. She is still eating. The only other fish who appear to have white spots also are all 4 neons, and maybeeeeee my pleco, though i can't tell. I only noticed it just today, my aquarium light's shipping was delayed and arrived today, and i noticed the white spots on the fish as soon as I plugged it in. The Bloodfins, acara, and pleco were introduced to the tank last week and were quarantined for a week before that. I will quarantine all fish longer from now on?☹️ My question is, what should I do to treat it? I will post photos if i can figure out how. My plan was to raise the temp to 86, and tomorrow my mom will drive me to our LFS to pick up some aquarium salt. Sorry for the long post, I wasn't sure what details were needed for me to get help I needed. Any thoughts?

Sorry the photo is sideways, I am not sure why

Attachments

• tempImageVIfF8A.png
    tempImageVIfF8A.png
    963.8 KB · Views: 413
I would quarantine those fish just to be safe. Don’t add any meds until we are for sure it’s ich. Because if it’s not your adding unnecessary chemicals into the tank. For now do 75% water changes. That’s what I heard to do.

I would quarantine those fish just to be safe. Don’t add any meds until we are for sure it’s ich. Because if it’s not your adding unnecessary chemicals into the tank. For now do 75% water changes. That’s what I heard to do.
Ok! Thank you, I will do that water change tonight then. I have never had any experience with Ich before?

I feel awful, I so wish i had quarantined longer. Lesson learned, I just hope I can figure out what is wrong in time to treat!

Yes, you can go ahead to increase the temperature to 86F as it will kill the ich(parasites).
You may have to treat them for 2 weeks.

According to Colin, salt won't kill ich.
There are many other medication that can kill ich but your snail and Corydoras may not do well with the medications.

Most medications that can kill ich will contain one of these:
Copper Safe, Malachite Green, Formalin(Formaldehyde), etc.

Remove the activated carbon if you use medication.

Take note that all these medications are toxic.
Wear gloves and don't breathe in the fume when you use the medications.

Some medications:

Extra info:

Thank you for the info! Ok, so I will not try salt. I am going to our LFS today, I will see what they have (and I will make sure I do some research on whatever I pick before I buy it). What should I do about the Cories and snail? I am able to set up a quarantine tank for them, would that be advisable? So far they aren't showing any signs of the white spots or irritation like the acara

Heat is the better option rather than chemicals. And it means you can keep the cories and snail in the tank. Not to mention that with a chemical you'd have to take out all those carbon filled cartridges so you would also be removing a lot of good bacteria.

Do a big water change and substrate clean. This is to remove many stage #2 parasites. Refill the tank with water warmer than usual and turn the heater up to get the water to 86 deg F. Use a thermometer, don't rely on the heater setting. leave the temperature at that level for 2 weeks, or 7 days after the last spot disappears, whichever is longest. Then turn the heater back down and let the water cool slowly. When you do water changes during the raised temp, make sure the new water is at the same temp as the tank.

Heat is the better option rather than chemicals. And it means you can keep the cories and snail in the tank. Not to mention that with a chemical you'd have to take out all those carbon filled cartridges so you would also be removing a lot of good bacteria.

Do a big water change and substrate clean. This is to remove many stage #2 parasites. Refill the tank with water warmer than usual and turn the heater up to get the water to 86 deg F. Use a thermometer, don't rely on the heater setting. leave the temperature at that level for 2 weeks, or 7 days after the last spot disappears, whichever is longest. Then turn the heater back down and let the water cool slowly. When you do water changes during the raised temp, make sure the new water is at the same temp as the tank.
Thank you for the help! I set the tank to 86 last night, I have 2 sticker thermometers that both read 86. (different brands, so I can compare them, in case one is not accurate) I will do a water change right away. My mom took me back to the store we bought the acara from, and we talked to an employee and she said all the other acaras are currently being treated for Ich! I guess now I know how it was introduced to the tanko_O

Most reactions

Back