Eheim Jeager Calibration

Squidward

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have just put 2 new Eheim Jeagers (300W)  into my 500L Discus tank.

The instructions talk about calibration, but it is not very clear if this is necessary or not.

I have been monitoring the temps for a week or so now, and they seem more or less ok. About 1*C different to the thermometer, but that is within an acceptable range. And that's not to say the thermo is 100% correct anyway.

Does one have to calbrate them? Or not?

I would say there is no 'need' to calibrate them. All you want to know is that they are maintaining the desired temperature within your tank consistently and accurately.

In other words, if you set them at say 26 degrees, it doesn't really matter that they cycle at 26 degrees or any other temperature. It also doesn't really matter if you want your tank at 26 degrees or any other temperature. So long as your tank water is at your desired temperature, say 26 degrees, you could set the heaters to whatever is required to maintain that.. If it says 27 on them, it's no biggie.

I have my tank water set at 26 degrees and I can measure this with a calibrated PT100 probe (which has a calibration certificate from NAMAS approved service centre). So I know my water is 26 degrees. However, I have a Boyu internal heater a few months back and that was set to 24.5 on the dial to give me my 26 in the tank, so it's dial was not accurate.

Now I have an Eheim Professional 3e Thermofilter and that maintains 26 degrees when I set it to 26 degrees, and also displays 26 degrees (it measures and displays the temperature as well as controls it). I have trimmed my Seneye probe using the calibrated PT100 too.

So, all you need to know is whether you have the correct temperature in your tank and you can only accurately do that with a calibrated, certified temperature probe.

Most reactions

Back