Easy To Keep, Personal Pet?

well i didnt mean easy pets, but not perticular hard i think if enough research is done and your willing to put in the effort.
thet diet isnt difficult by anymeans, they are omnivores, they can eat fruits, vegetables, meats, insects, bread and cereal
citrus fruits such as apples arent good for them, and any food must be fresh, no canned or tined.
mine like turkey/chicken and hard boiled eggs. crickets and mealworms are good too.
reading up about it on the net is a good way to go. it helped me a lot.
yeah they do run around a lot and make a little bit of noise, but to me,its no worst than a fish tank filter humming or the dog wondering around outside my door. i do agree the alarm call is annoying, but as im a deep sleeper, it tends not to wake me. scent markings are as bad IMO, yeah they smell a little, but not too heavy, plus they are in my room and no visiters usally go into my room.
saying this, my room is very large (converted loft) and has a sort of wall that devided my bed, computer, draws etc from the other half which houses my gliders cage, so the wall effects the sound.
leaving the cage downstaires could be an option if your parents dont mind, that way the noise wont be as bad.

I've decided it's between the gerbils and guinea pigs, leaning towards gerbils because I have a spare fish tank which should be good for them.

Just one question, do gerbils need an exercise wheel?

thanks

well i didnt mean easy pets, but not perticular hard i think if enough research is done and your willing to put in the effort.
thet diet isnt difficult by anymeans, they are omnivores, they can eat fruits, vegetables, meats, insects, bread and cereal
citrus fruits such as apples arent good for them, and any food must be fresh, no canned or tined.
mine like turkey/chicken and hard boiled eggs. crickets and mealworms are good too.
reading up about it on the net is a good way to go. it helped me a lot.
yeah they do run around a lot and make a little bit of noise, but to me,its no worst than a fish tank filter humming or the dog wondering around outside my door. i do agree the alarm call is annoying, but as im a deep sleeper, it tends not to wake me. scent markings are as bad IMO, yeah they smell a little, but not too heavy, plus they are in my room and no visiters usally go into my room.
saying this, my room is very large (converted loft) and has a sort of wall that devided my bed, computer, draws etc from the other half which houses my gliders cage, so the wall effects the sound.
leaving the cage downstaires could be an option if your parents dont mind, that way the noise wont be as bad.
yes but you cant just give them any of that food you have to get the ratios right for gliders

i knwo you need to get the nutrients right, thats why i said have a better look on the net, i was giving a brief outline of what they eat.
guinea pigs are better IMO, love them. but gerbils are what your after i will help you.
yes they do need an excersize wheel, one with out gaps.they like to live in pairs if im not mistaken, and a deep layer of wood shavings is good for them to dig.what size fish tank do you have?a lid is nessary as they jump too.
i would suggest building a small platform, that can either stand on the bottom of the tank, or hand over the side to put the food and water on. but im guess you will read up lots about them on the net abd make up your own mind.

My chinchillas are one room away and they don't bother us at night, but then again, 22 makes a big difference over 2-3. As for being shy, well, that depends on the owner and the pets involved. As I said, mine are as tame as you could ask for. They are bigger than hamsters and such, but they still aren't as big as a cat. :)

As for gerbils, they make silent wheels that don't have holes. Gerbils are social, but you have to introduce them while still young or get siblings. If you get adults, you need to introduce them slowly or you will see some bad fights. Gerbils being just a little bigger than the mice I've had, you could comfortably keep a pair in a 10 gallon, but I wouldn't try more than that.

(dwarf) hamster, mice, guinea pig, sugar glider (one of my personaly favourites, great pet), snake, african pygmy hedgehog, tortoises, bearded dragon lizards, geckos
all i can think of now, :good:

Since when did sugar gliders become pets? They are nearly extinct in australia. They need gum trees to swing and glide from, not being kept in some cage.

Not being rude but geez.

i think gliders are common pets now in UK,
hard to find them in shops, but given time, you will find a good breeder.
they do need trees etc to glide from, thats why my 2 are in a huge bird cage with plenty of room to glide about, with lots of trees and branches to climb.they are very good pets, i let mine run about my room daily, wich they love, hiding bits of food around helps them to get moving.

Well I still dont aggree that they should be kept as pets because of them being endaged, but as long as you are doing what your saying your doing and letting them run free, I am happy..in a sense.

Well, you have some good suggestions so far.

Gerbils- Wonderful pets. I've had them most of my life. They can be a little loud if keeping them in your bedroom (they love to dig and chew). They can be very tame, and easy to handle. They are also very easy to take care of. And as said, a pair can easily be kept in a ten gallon tank.

Rabbits- Well, I raise them so I have to mention them. Rabbits are very easy to care for. They are also pretty sociable... they don't really like to be picked up, but mine loved to be loved on: head rubs, chin rubs, scratches behind the ears. I adore all of my rabbits. :wub:

Chinchillas- Also a good pet. Mine don't make much noise... it's just the wheel that will keep you up at night. Mine are pretty tame... they run to the door for treats as soon as you walk into the room, and they love to be out of the cage and run around the room. They can be hilarious. And of course there is that wonderful soft fur.

Really, rodents are awesome. I'm not a hamster fan, but I've had rats and mice, of course with all the above listed. I just love them. If you are looking more into 'exotics', I'd have to recommend a Degu, Short-tailed Opposum, or Duprasi. I'll leave it up to you to look up their requirements and such to decide if they are right for you or not. ;)

Well, you have some good suggestions so far.

Gerbils- Wonderful pets. I've had them most of my life. They can be a little loud if keeping them in your bedroom (they love to dig and chew). They can be very tame, and easy to handle. They are also very easy to take care of. And as said, a pair can easily be kept in a ten gallon tank.

Rabbits- Well, I raise them so I have to mention them. Rabbits are very easy to care for. They are also pretty sociable... they don't really like to be picked up, but mine loved to be loved on: head rubs, chin rubs, scratches behind the ears. I adore all of my rabbits. :wub:

Chinchillas- Also a good pet. Mine don't make much noise... it's just the wheel that will keep you up at night. Mine are pretty tame... they run to the door for treats as soon as you walk into the room, and they love to be out of the cage and run around the room. They can be hilarious. And of course there is that wonderful soft fur.

Really, rodents are awesome. I'm not a hamster fan, but I've had rats and mice, of course with all the above listed. I just love them. If you are looking more into 'exotics', I'd have to recommend a Degu, Short-tailed Opposum, or Duprasi. I'll leave it up to you to look up their requirements and such to decide if they are right for you or not. ;)

If you get a hamster please make sure you don't buy pine or cedar shavings, that is a big NO NO. It can cause them to have upper respiratory infections and pneumonia, and can lead to death.Hamsters are nocturnal and tend to be more active at night.

i'd have to vote for a guinea pig, as i want one myself :p i've heard a lot of praise for them as being quite affectionate with their owners and very interactive--when you have a treat, that is :lol:

plus they're extra cute and have tiny little fingers :hyper: is that a silly reason to love rodents, that they have tiny little people-hands?

guinea pig or rat no hesitation. Guninea pigs are great little charactors, become very tame and you can have two to keep each other company (you can get boys spayed and girls will live together easily) . Rats, well, clever, social animals - can't beat them really
:good:

Gerbils and mice are nocturnal are they not and not nearly as sociable with their owner (bit pongy as well)

Well I still dont aggree that they should be kept as pets because of them being endaged, but as long as you are doing what your saying your doing and letting them run free, I am happy..in a sense.
i didnt realise they were endangered where you are, i think i am taking very good care of them, i love them to bits.
i always give them the best care.
i understand how you feel,
most of the time they are out of their cage anyway, running around my bedroom.

Most reactions

Back