Easy, Idiot-Proof Plants?

SherLar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
   We have numerous live plants in our outdoor ponds, and our indoor water garden, but I'm sadly lacking in experience with live plants in my aquariums.
   I've tried unsuccessfully 3 times. The first was, stupidly, with duck weed. I'm sure you know how that turned out. The second was some floating mess that was recommended at a LFS. The fish ate it all within the week. The third died, but not before leaving me an infestation of Malaysian Trumpet snails which I've yet to fully eradicate (I've trapped probably thousands, and the yoyo loaches I added to the tank are slowly taking care of the rest).
   I'd like to add just a few live plants to a couple of my tanks. So, my question is: are there any idiot-proof live plants that are either free-floating, or can be anchored in natural aquarium gravel substrate, that will thrive without any special additives or CO2, and under normal full-spectrum T-8 lighting?
   Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The classic choice would be Java fern or anubias. Just don't bury the rhizome or it will rot. Ideally you should tie them to a piece of wood or a rock, but you can plant it in the substrate, as long as the rhizome is free.

Hi,
there are a few easy going plants that could work here. The main one jumping to my mind is Java Fern, this can be tied to decor - wood, rocks etc - as it doesn't like to have it's rhizome buried. Anubias could work too for the same reason. Have a look at Hygrophilia too ... I found that was more a case of stopping it growing rather than the other way around. Another that might work ... and I'm not 100% on this one, is Altnanthera. I can remember having that in a tank that had no ferts - just fish poo - and it did 'okay'. It didn't thrive but it didn't die either.

Hope that helps :)

Zante hit post just before me there!!

Also, it does'n't have to be tied to a large rock or driftwood.
If you use a small piece, the roots will hide the rock over time, and voila!
You have an imitation sword plant that won't outgrow the tank. 
....Well, most tanks anyway.

Well, there are a few easy to care for plants that require little maintenance and / or fertilisers.

Already mentioned are java ferns and anubias which are very easily obtained and is commonly stocked in most lfs, also not very expensive either which is a nice little bonus
wink.png

Would also mention marimo mossball this is truly an idiot proof plant, which in actual fact is an algae but looks like a moss and grows extremely slowly, shrimps do like this plant.

Also must mention vallisernia, elodea and some variants of cryptocorynes as fairly easy to care for plants. These do appreciate some ferts added weekly.

Floating plants, well as youve already found out, duckweed grows, well...like a weed
laugh.png
  I have kept this myself and did not mind it growing rapidly and scooping out handfuls of duckweed during weekly water changes turned out to be a bit of a chore after a while.

An alternative floating plant could be water lettuce, though this does grow pretty fast but not as fast as duckweed tbh.
Another favourite floating plant I have had before is silvinia natans, very pretty simple little plants. 

Of course some species of fish do appreciate having floating plants as cover / shade and some do nibble on the roots of these.

Do note though, floating plants do absorb a lot of nutrients from the water column (nitrate for example) and may leave very little nutrients for you other planted plants in the tank, so the addition of fertiliser will help ensure all your plants have some nutrients to survive on.

Just a case of finding out what works in your tank and the type of water hardness, nitrate levels, stocking levels all does play a part in how plants may or may not thrive in tanks.

This is a bit of an ousider (in more than one sense :D ): have you considered some pothos?

You don't plant it in the aquarium, but just put the stem in the water, and let the leaves grow out of the aquarium.
It grows quickly, and therefore absorbs A LOT of nutrients helping you with maintenance, also fish fry love the mass of roots in the water to hide in.

I also think that a tank with strands of pothos hanging along the side looks very nice.

I have had real success with little effort from Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias Nana and Duckweed. Had some rampant initial growth with some floating Elodea but after some needed thinning perhaps I was too aggressive and it has not returned to its rapid growth. Java Moss and duckweed have to be regularly thinned as well, Java Moss overgrows ferns and Anubias so required pruning. Thinnings have populated new tanks, first 2, then 3, now 5 and soon 9, ten gallons each. My tanks are ph7, 78-80F, sponge filtered, Marineland LED sit on top of glass tank cover lighting on timer for 14 hrs a day (8a-10p). Algae kept in check by pond snails obtained as stowaways with purchased Java Moss. Minimal gravel as substrate, ferns, moss and Anubias not "planted" but have attached themselves to decor and driftwood. Never fertilized, no CO2 used. Tanks inhabited by Zebra Danios (1 tank), Platys (1 tank) and male Bettas (3 tanks). 30% water change weekly.
David

Love me some Pothos!
You want a weed, Water Sprite. Float it or plant it, just be prepared to prune it. Money Wort is also fairly easy.

Most reactions

Back