Dying Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

calbrown23

Reaction score
Hey everyone, getting really confused now,

finished fishless cycling my tank a couple of days back, ammonia and nitrite reading 0 within 24 hours of adding pure ammonia etc.

i did a 30% water change to bring my nitrates down and then left the tank to settle for a day.

i then tested my water again and had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrate. i went to the fish shop and got 4 mollies and a bristlenose pleco. everything fine added the fish correctly and they seemed happy.

upon waking up this morning 1 mollie and the pleco are dead and the other 3 mollies look like they’re on their way out.

the first fish i bought died as i didn’t cycle and now these fish are dead after i have cycled!! please help as feel like i’m wasting my money now!

23C08A4C-D69E-478F-A8F5-8AD797781EA9.jpeg
7B3924A2-A00E-4D26-8B1D-54CEF1EA6F15.jpeg
BBCA8B26-C6C9-4722-84AB-B6D22A2478CD.jpeg

Hi Calbrown, it may be down to how fish were transported or bags they were in, who knows. Mrs bought 8 mollies 4 black 4 white....2 white died within 2 days no rhyme or reason.....other six breeding and happy as hell. It may have been something as simple as ammonia spikes due to so many fish introduced at once.....sometimes it just happens I guess.
(Established community tank I must add)

Water change shock I would say the Mollies will have been kept in Hard Alkaline water. Not the best choice of fish for your water parameters

ahh okay what are the best choice of fish for my tank then to start with? and also does that explain the pleco death?

The pleco death?. I would start with a school of say Lemon tetras. When they have been there for awhile then add a couple of Gouramis of some description. And then work from there. Look at adding live plants especially floating ones.

Depends on the source you buy from . If it’s within a few miles I doubt they would of been kept in different water conditions as most people just use tap water

okay thank you! yes my pleco also died as stated in original thread would the acidity of water affected pleco as well?

Bristlenose Plecos are very hardy fish and given the various different stats on water parameters don't seem to be overly picky although the water Hardiness should be 10-15 (i assume ppm) - as I found in one article or 20-25 (I assume PPM) in another article. I have somewhat hard water and they have always done really well. The only time I've lost a pleco was 1. When they were very small - may have been sucked up during cleaning. 2. Once I found a baby partially eaten - my tanks only have peaceful fish but stuff happens. 3. General horrific water accidents (I'm ashamed to say I've had two where I lost about half a tank a fish within seconds after adding water for a water change. We still don't know what we did wrong - it's happened twice and each time I lost one or more of my plecos.

The riskiest time for fish is 1. Right after you buy them and 2. During/after a water change. You just had some bad luck. Pleco's especially like a fairly high flow of water so make sure you have an oversized filter for your tank (regardless of how many gallons they say they process it is very dependent on the amount of media you have in the filter because the media slows that rating down tremendously - so your filter may not be big enough. For example, even in my 29 gallon tanks I use a filter rated for a 100-120 gallon tank. It's a problem because my plecos are in with Gourami - two species with different requirements - Gourami's I believe, need softer water than I can provide, while I'm spot on with my plecos. Plecos love currents, Gourami love quiet waters. I have now turned down my filter to low to slow the water speed and instead added 3 small air stones at various locations and the pleco seem to like to hang out near them.

Plecos need lots of OXYGEN so the air stones will help a lot with that - and they like high water flow.

Even though your tank was cycled I think you should have waited a couple more days to add fish. I would also get Tetra's bottle of bacteria and add about half of it (diluted in quart or so of tank water) to your tank - you may have lacked enough bacteria to handle that many fish at once. Since I started doing that when I first set up a tank and later before adding fish I really don't need to go through a 30-60 day cycle - my water parameters are always perfect within a day or two of adding the bacteria. But even if the tank seems ready for fish - I always wait a couple of days and test each day to make sure the parameters hold in place. Then I purchase perhaps 2-3 fish and hope for the best- only once have I lost a new fish since I started doing that. I also have to adjust my PH down to 7.0 (with a PH regulator product). Our tap water is 9.4 I know that was the cause of deaths during my early fishkeeping experiences. NO freshwater fish can handle that high of PH. I now use this product (tiny bit in each bucket of water change water - I'm not dumping ph 9.4 water into a 7.0 ph tank. The bucket water is always already adjusted to PH 7 before I add it - I also declorinate each bucket - so I can't use the python water changer because there is no way to do that with that product (I don't know why everybody thinks that thing is so awesome when you can't treat your water BEFORE it goes into the tank.)

So my conclusion: not enough bacteria for so many fish and not enough oxygenation in the water (that's why people are suggesting plants - and that does help a lot but doesn't add to the water flow speed the pleco's favor. My current pleco's are very tiny (my last one were mature when we had that terrible accident - they were awesome fish). I'm getting 4 more small pleco's soon. In about 2 years they will all be mature and I probably will have to split them up from the Gourami (who probably are living too short of lives in my tank anyway- I need to change the water parameters more to their needs) plus then I can give the mature pleco plenty of water flow and oxygen, Again, good bacteria is your friend, but there is no way to measure how much you have so don't be afraid to add additional bottled bacteria to your cycled tank any time you are getting new fish just to make sure you have enough.

Have you tested the ammonia and nitrite in your tank?
Did you dechlorinate the new water when you did the water change?
Can you call the shop and ask them what the pH and GH of their molly and pleco tanks are?
Ask the shop if they have salt in the molly tank.

Take the dead fish back and get a store credit. Pick up some replacement fish in a few weeks after the remaining ones either survive or die.

Normally you do a huge (80-90%) water change after cycling a tank.

What sort of ammonia did you use to cycle the tank with?

-------------------
It is unlikely you had an ammonia or nitrite spike. That is the whole purpose of cycling a tank, to build up the beneficial filter bacteria so you don't get an ammonia or nitrite spike when you add new fish. And 5 small fish are not going to cause a spike.

-------------------
Can you post some pictures of the remaining fish?

Did you have any disinfectant residue on your hands when putting the bag of fish in the tank?
Did the shop assistant has disinfectant residue on their hands?

How did you acclimatise the fish to the tank?

How long were the fish in the bags for?

How long did it take the shop assistant to catch the fish, (ie: did they chase the fish around for a couple of minutes or did they scoop the fish out in a second)?

-------------------
You could try doing a big water change or adding some salt. The salt will push the pH up a bit and might help the mollies recover.

Increase the aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen level in the water.

wow! a lot of helpful responses thank you everyone!

my surface turbulence is pretty good! water flowing nicely and have an air stone pumping oxygen in!

think i will do a large water change tonight to try and fix the issue, and bump the PH up a bit!

Most reactions

Back