Dyed Fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

plecoguy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was at my lfs and the owner and i were talking about this fish i wanted (i cant remember what is was called) but the only reason i didnt buy it was because it was a dyed fish. Im against the whole needle thing and injecting fish with dye...but these fish were dyed by raising them in colored water...I was wondering if they would have the same problems that normal dyed fish do. Is this wrong...i like this fish, and i want it, but i dont want to support buying tortured fish...PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO...

I dont like the idea of dying fish with needles or whatever, but If I had to I would rather have one that was in colored water before one that was injected. I would think dyed in water fish would have some problems, but not as much as injected ones. I could be wrong though, and probably am :)
Shawn

Fish that are raised in artificial/Easter egg-colored water can have severely suppressed immune systems, leaving them wide open to a host of diseases. They are not known to be very hardy and rarely live to their full potential.

This fact is aside from the idea that it is just best to keep fish in as close to their natural environment as possible. If everyone would stop buying these artificially-colored fish, then the suppliers would stop selling them ! :)

you shoud've asked the owner if its ok if he had a infant child if you could dye his skin orange or green to make him more brilliant and interesting so he could show him off

well, apart from having health problems from living in the coloured water, the fishie would also lose the pretty colours soon after being put in a non-dyed tank... I wonder if you can get an un-painted version of the same fish to save you the trouble?

Like i said before the owner of the store got them in by accident, he hates dyed fish, but what is he going to do. I am going to talk to him today about getting a non dyed version of the fish.

i dont;t think i have ever seen a dyed fish. Is there a real big difference in colour? I don't really know anyhting about the subject?¿

steve-0 Posted on Apr 17 2003, 02:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i dont;t think i have ever seen a dyed fish. Is there a real big difference in colour? I don't really know anyhting about the subject?¿

If your lfs are like some of the ones here in Calgary thay won't tell you they are painted, but they'll have nice little names like "Blueberry" or "Fruitloop" :grr: ...the Fruitloop tetras here look just like the colors in a bowl of Fruitloops...pink, lime green, purple, cherry red, etc. :angry: :grr:

Check out the "Painted fish" topic I started it a few weeks ago and other people have been campaigning against it there is also a petition and more info about this check it out

I have now seen lots of pics on the net of painted fish, and i can say there aren't any dyed fish being sold in kelowna B.C. :D

Most reactions

Back