Dwarf Puffers..

youngfisher

Marine Keeper..
Reaction score
Ok - I have finally decided, I am going to get dwarf puffers in my 40L tank.

Does this mean I will need to take all of my plastic plants out, and replace them with real/silk plants?

Will they be ok with air stones?

Will they be ok with gravel + fine gravel?

Will they be ok with rock/stone ornaments?

Im thinking to get a LOT! of plants in there, so maybe I could keep 3 in there?

1.) Does this mean I will need to take all of my plastic plants out, and replace them with real/silk plants?

2.) Will they be ok with air stones?

3.) Will they be ok with gravel + fine gravel?

4.) Will they be ok with rock/stone ornaments?

5.) Im thinking to get a LOT! of plants in there, so maybe I could keep 3 in there?

1.) no, with puffers out of site really is out of mind, they would naturally prefer real plants but its no biggy, you just need to make sure there is plenty of obstruction to the line of sight.

2.) yes, not needed though as long as you have a little surface agitation from your filter, they prefer slow running water.

3.) yup

4.) yup, the more places to retreat the better

5.) 3 is good in 40 litres, i would get 1 male and 2 females

i know you will love these amazing little fella's

EDIT: You bumped after 19 minutes, that must be a forum record :lol:

1.) Does this mean I will need to take all of my plastic plants out, and replace them with real/silk plants?

2.) Will they be ok with air stones?

3.) Will they be ok with gravel + fine gravel?

4.) Will they be ok with rock/stone ornaments?

5.) Im thinking to get a LOT! of plants in there, so maybe I could keep 3 in there?

1.) no, with puffers out of site really is out of mind, they would naturally prefer real plants but its no biggy, you just need to make sure there is plenty of obstruction to the line of sight.

2.) yes, not needed though as long as you have a little surface agitation from your filter, they prefer slow running water.

3.) yup

4.) yup, the more places to retreat the better

5.) 3 is good in 40 litres, i would get 1 male and 2 females

i know you will love these amazing little fella's

EDIT: You bumped after 19 minutes, that must be a forum record :lol:

What he said :good: WIth a few more plants I think your tank would make a lovely DP home, you will need to make sure that your lfs sell frozen bloodworm though & see if you can get some small snails from your lfs or online as the DP really do love their snails.

Just make sure that your fake plants arent too pointy or jaggedy.

very good point karigupi, they really do love there snails aye :lol: they can only really tackle the small ones though, i have a tiny 10L tank that i raise snails in for them and it pays dividends, even a washing up bowl or something like that would be fine, you'l get a better breeding rate if you add a filter though, i use these:

http://www.ta-aquaculture.co.uk/Filtration-Air.htm

one of the most underated products in fishkeeping IMO, very cheap and efficient and they double up as a air stone.

How hardy are they?

puffers or the filter???

puffers are ok but you need to keep them in pristene water, any traces of ammonia or nitrite or high nitrates, sudden ph or kh change really upsets them. The filters are very reliable.

I have a filter in the tank already. (I think thats what you mean) - I know that my LFS definatly stock live food, saw a big sign saying 'NOW STORE LIVE FOOD' so i guess thats it.

So what can they eat? How often do I feed them? And how many of the things do I feed them?

I have a filter in the tank already. (I think thats what you mean) - I know that my LFS definatly stock live food, saw a big sign saying 'NOW STORE LIVE FOOD' so i guess thats it.

So what can they eat? How often do I feed them? And how many of the things do I feed them?

the problem with live food is thats its only good for a couple of days after the lfs has bought it, after that it loses a lot of its nutritional value - especially brine shrimp which aren't that nutrious to begin with. I feed mine a varied diet of red and black bloodworm, daphnia, tubiflex, mosquito, snails and occasionally as a treat brine shrimp. Don't feed them much, i find its better to feed them very small amount 3 or 4 times a day.

Can I feed them frozen foods, will they last longer?

yes, the majority of mine is frozen food simply because its a hassle going to pick up fresh live food every couple of days. yes they will last longer simply because there is no point in feeding live food if its over a few days old. A little tip, keep live food in the fridge, it becomes more dorment and retains its nutritional value for longer.

I think I will have to be frozen - doubt my mum will let me keep them in the fridge.

so do I put say 1 block in the tank a day?

I think I will have to be frozen - doubt my mum will let me keep them in the fridge.

so do I put say 1 block in the tank a day?

you dont have to keep them in the fridge, it just holds there nutritional value better. for 3 puffers 1 block is plenty, and try not to feed the same stuff for all three or four meals, variety is key.

I would properly buy them blocks, and get a few different ones and give them a different block each day - Do I just put the cube frozen in the tank or..?

Most reactions

Back