Dwarf Bn Plec

Gruffle

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I recently picked up a partially albino dwarf BN plec from my LFS, the shop dude had never encountered them before so I didn't really trust his advise.

Initially he / she wasn't eating but eventually gave in and now sits happily on a piece of cucumber all night, what other veggies will he eat? the tank is new and doesn't have any visible algae on the glass yet.

obviously it isn't gonna get very big but are they happiest with others of the same species or are they fine on their own?

tankmates at the minute are 6 serpae tetra, 1 RTBS, 4 danios and 2 panda cory's in a 155l tank.

Hi, I recently picked up a partially albino dwarf BN plec from my LFS, the shop dude had never encountered them before so I didn't really trust his advise.

Initially he / she wasn't eating but eventually gave in and now sits happily on a piece of cucumber all night, what other veggies will he eat? the tank is new and doesn't have any visible algae on the glass yet.

obviously it isn't gonna get very big but are they happiest with others of the same species or are they fine on their own?

tankmates at the minute are 6 serpae tetra, 1 RTBS, 4 danios and 2 panda cory's in a 155l tank.

The bristle nose pleco does fine by it's self. Males can be territorial to other males. I have a female Bn and a clown pleco. They seem to care less about each other and hang out in totally different areas of the tank. You can get him Algae wafers and sinking pellets. They eat left over food. Feeding some cucumber is good. You are doing fine. The normal BN get to be about 5 inches.

Oh and it is easy to sex these plecos. The females don't have bristles or if they do they are very small and only around the mouth. The males have bristles and lots of them all over their nose. They also get longer whiskers.

They are my now favourite pleco.

Nice one :D

BN's are pretty awesome, I'll wait till he/she gets a bit bigger so I can sex it before I get anymore :)

I don't know, of course, if this will apply to yours, but my young bristlenose's apparent (might prefer popsicles, for all I know) absolute favorite seems to be cooked (frozen) baby Brussel Sprouts.
Cooked asparagus is probably the closest second favorite, (she takes after her adopted mum - me)
Unfortunately, we don't always have them in...

Done a bit of experimenting , so far it will eat cucumber, courgette, banana, carrots, brocolli (sp?), apple and lettuce :eek:

greedy little plec :D

Most reactions

Back